What are you canning now?

Pics
camjac - nicely done! You sound like me. I didn't know anyone who canned so just read up on it online last year and went for it. Last year I did tomatoes, peaches, salsa verde, and some jams. This year I've got a bit overboard and canned about 30 different things, from salsas to jams toveggies. Like you, I have really enjoyed it, too. My family also thinks I'm nuts, between the canning, gardening, baking, making my own laundry soap, and raising chickens.

You'd never know that I'm an office professional! One of my coworkers recently asked if I'm going to start wearing gingham.

The "bruschetta in a jar"... is that the recipe from the "Complete Book of Home Preserving"? I love that book!! I got mine from the library and have debated whether I should buy my own copy or just get it from the library again next year.

Page 317 from the "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" (my favorite canning book!!!)

PICKLED ROASTED RED PEPPERS - make 4 pint jars, or roughly 1 pint for every 5 peppers
4 cloves garlic, roasted, removed from skin (I did extra)
1.5 c white vinegar
1.5 c cider vinegar
.5 c dry white wine
.5 c water
1 c coarsely chopped onion
.5 c sugar
2 tbsp oregano
4 tsp canning or picklng salt
20 medium sweet red peppers (other colors can be used - I did 10 green, 15 red)

Roast peppers & garlic until pepper skins are blackened and garlic is spotted. Make sure skins are REALLY black or else they're a pain to peel. Put blacked peppers into a paper bag and let them steam until they're cool enough to peel. Peel & slice into serving size pieces.

In large saucepan combine everything but peppers. Stir to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat & boil gently 5 mins to infuse garlic & oregano flavors.

Pack room temp peppers into hot jars, leave generous 1/2" headspace. Remove bubbles, adjust headspace, wope rims, add rings, etc.

Process 15 mins.

Jennspeeps- you do sound alot like me! I had to shovel my moms chin off the ground when I told her that I was making laundry soap. She grew up dirt poor in Kentucky and knows the value of a dollar but still has a hard time understanding. I think she has become citified after all these years but you always want what you can't have, right? I grew up city and have turned country. My arms and legs are constantly scratched up from picking blackberries the last half of the summer! You should tell your coworker that gingham is out this year and overalls are back in fashion! I think I just get a kick out of saying "I did this myself" and learning something new. Keep up the good work with everything new that you are trying!

I have canned this season: mangos, watermelon rind pickles, apple butter and watermelon jelly. I have frozen summer squash, berries, shredded zucchini, shredded carrots and pesto. I have dehydrated all my herbs. I really want a pressure cooker so I can can soups and veggies.

I just got done doing 10 Qt.s of pickled corn. Now it started working and I'm having trouble keeping a spoon out of the jars. I love that darn stuff!!! By the time it's done working there probably won't be much left lol.

Here in WA state we can much later because our season is later. It's even later than normal this year, being behind 2-4 weeks. I went out to check my plums this afternoon and, while purple, they're still as hard as rocks.

I can't wait to pmake plum chutney again!!
tongue.png

Now (yesterday and today), I am canning crab apple jelly, apple butter (smell it?), apple sauce and sliced apples in light/medium syrup.

My tomatoes here in East-Central MN are just now ripening at canning quantities (50 lbs/day-or-two rather than 5 lbs/day-or-two) just in time for overnight lows in the 30's. Will cover tonight.

This morning I canned the sweet icicle pickles that I started over a week ago. They're crisp, sweet, tart, and delicious! This is my first attempt at fermented pickles and they turned out great.

I'm hoping the dill pickles turn out as well.

I roasted a large turkey this week and then removed all the meat from the bones and roasted just the bones. Then, as Miss Prissy has directed, put them all in a crockpot covered with water, threw in some celery stocks and whole unpeeled onions and spices and fresh herbs, covered with water and slow cooked for almost 24 hours. Best looking stock yet! Don't we love Miss P?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom