What are you canning now?

Quote:
I like to use the wide mouth jars for packing things like the chicken I did. If it's small (like cutup greenbeans) or liquid the reg. size works good. If it's bigger then the wide mouth is much easier to pack into and get it back out of. The downside to wide mouth is you can't get as many jars into the canners.

Going to pickle some onions I do believe... My harvest was a big one, but sadly the onions themselves were not so big. Sunday we are having an extended family tomato canning day with a big supper after
big_smile.png

WOW! You all have been really busy. I have to been busy. Tomorrow I'll take a pic of my pantry (which only holds a 1/4 of what I have canned) but it will give you the idea.

Got pears to can tomorrow and did applesauce today. I'm tired and still have alot to do
smile.png

Freezing retains the flavor better. I love to freeze low acid stuff, even though I have a pressure canner. As long as you have the freezer space, why not?

We are canning a mess of tomatoes RIGHT NOW!

TONS OF THEM!
yippiechickie.gif

I went on a canning binge again today... if you count the beef in wine sauce I took out of the pressure canner at 1 a.m.! I canned:

Beef in wine sauce: 6 quarts, 1 pint
Crushed tomatoes: 7 quarts
Seasoned tomato sauce: 7 quarts, 2 pints
(... and finally!) Dill pickles: 9 quarts, 4 pints
(28 jars in all!)

I did have a casualty though. One of the wire bail jars from my grandmother's root cellar cracked. It's still water tight but it's got a big crack through it. It'll be relegated to holding Q-tips or something like that.

Including the things I've frozen, I've put up 40 different things, from fruits & jams, salsas and veggies, soups and berries!

The dill pickles seem to be pretty crisp. I'm actually not much of a dill pickle fan so I'll have to let others be the best judges. They stopped fermenting very quickly. I thought it would be a gradual tapering off but NOPE!

And here's a sentence I never thought I'd utter with such delight: "My fermenting sauerkraut has started to get a scum on it!" Once the pickles started doing that they were ready about a week later. I'm hoping that the sauerkraut won't have to sit on the kitchen counter too much longer. I'm really tired of it.

Only 10 empty quart jars and 6 pint jars in my entire house. Then I can rest!! I figure the sauerkraut will take 3 of the pint jars. My plum tree's bounty will become chutney, then I'll do apple pie filling with the other fruit tree's crop.
wee.gif

My cost per item (canned jar or frozen quart baggie) put up is $1.41, for a total of nearly $300. Not too shabby, I say!

I canned pears today, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but it's the first time I've canned anything... EVER! I'm thinking I should have just splashed myself down and rolled in sugar to begin with. I sort of felt like a lollipop after we were done. I just pray we did everything right, and that our work wasn't in vain. I'm still kind of unsure about the whole processing thing.

Great post topic - might get me inspired to do something with all those tomatoes that are turning red.

Back
Top Bottom