What are you canning now?

Quote:
Good for you! Pears are on my list for this week.
smile.png

Alexis - I felt that same way last summer, when I started canning. Even now, I'm nervous about the items that I canned in the pressure canner, even though I followed directions carefully.

Congrats for taking the leap of faith!!

Give everything you open a sniff test. If in doubt, throw it out. Funny smells, mold, broken seal or anything that denotes potential spoilage should give it away.

As long as you followed the directions on the pears, they'll be fine! We ate the last of our summer 2007 canned items just last month. They were perfect.

I did some Apple Butter today using Scrambled_egg's crock pot apple butter recipe (I did tweak it a touch though). Smells so good and if you like sweet spices (I don't) would taste awesome!!! My kids LOVE it!!!!

091320081183[1].jpg

Last edited:
O.K. I can't take it amymore
smile.png
all of this canning you all are doing, WOW! I am glad to hear that this thread has inspired some of you to venture in the processing direction. You will not disappointed.

Here is a list of some of the canning I have done:

Diced Tomatoes
Whole Tomatoes
Spaghetti Sauce
Salsa
Green Beans
Apples
Apple Butter
Apple Sauce
Peaches
Peach Butter
Peach Preserves
Grape Jam
Grape Sauce (for waffles)
Mixed Veggies
Peas
Corn
Chicken
Pinto Beans
Kidney Beans

I was going to can Pears yesterday (Saturday) but we had alot of work to do outside so I will be doing the Pears Monday or Tuesday. Also I need to can some of the Potatoes we grew in the garden. Looks like alot of us will be eating good this winter
smile.png

HAPPY CANNING TO ALL!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got about 15 jars left to fill and am itching to do so! Lo & behold, this morning's circular's showed a sale for carrots and parsnips, 50 cents a pound. Think I may go put up a couple of quarts of carrots and freeze some parsnips.

Mwahahahahaha...

I had a busy day today too! 21 quarts of peaches--that we got to pick for free from a friend! 6 qts of stewed tomatoes, and 12 half pints of Scrambled eggs crock pot recipe apple butter-Yummy! I have to agree about the full shelves, something very comforting about having all those jars full!
Here is a pic of todays goodies!
canning2.jpg

*SIGH* I gotta get my hands on some tomatoes. As of dinner tonight the children have left ONE jar of the salsa I made some time ago un-opened. That won't last long....they are three little salsa freaks.

Nicely done everyone! What lovely canning you've all been up to.

I wish I had a nice supply of peaches so that I could put up a few jars of plain peaches.

Today I canned 3 quarts of curried carrots.

Prep carrots as you would for canning. To each quart jar, add 1/4 tsp orange juice or apple juice concentrate, 1/2 tsp curry, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Can as usual!

The recipe I adapted this from called for 1 tbsp butter as well but I didn't feel like canning the butter in the carrots. I can add that when I heat & eat.

I also picked about a 1/2 bushel of apples from a tree in my parents' alley. I remember selling apples on the sidewalk from that tree when I was little (or trying!!). How do I know it's 1/2 a bushel? Because that's the basket my mom happened to have on hand for me to hold apples!
lol.png
I considered making apple pie filling tonight but changed my mind because I was too tired.

Back to work tomorrow after a 2 1/2 week "staycation". Not too much more canning for me.
wee.gif

Quote:
Put a post on your local Freecycle. I done this for grapes and got a free basket full that I got to pick myself. Plus I stopped by to ask a lady if she had any grapes and she gave me grapes and tomatoes and green beans and soon she will be calling me for Muskidines(spelling ?) My hubby thinks I'm nuts because it doesn't bother me to stop and ask, all they can say is yes or no. Try it.

Back
Top Bottom