What are you canning now?

When I make seedless jam, I use the same recipe but make sure that the seedless pulp amount is the same as the regular amount. (Ex: 6 cups) Don't measure before you de-seed your fruit, or your recipe will be off for pectin-to-fruit ratio.

Bought some more rhubarb to freeze. Mine is not yet big enough. What can anyone tell me about growing it. I have 4 plantings. Covered with milk crates to keep the chickens away. It seems to be okay for now. People must be buying it cuz it's more expensive this year than last.

Bought some more rhubarb to freeze. Mine is not yet big enough. What can anyone tell me about growing it. I have 4 plantings. Covered with milk crates to keep the chickens away. It seems to be okay for now. People must be buying it cuz it's more expensive this year than last.

My birds don't bother the rhubarb at all, so you might not have to cover it. Just leave it grow this year and don't harvest. Then next year you can take a little bit, but not much. Like asparagus it has to get established but it is pretty easy and hassle free (and prolific) after that. Good Luck! :)

My birds don't bother the rhubarb at all, so you might not have to cover it. Just leave it grow this year and don't harvest. Then next year you can take a little bit, but not much. Like asparagus it has to get established but it is pretty easy and hassle free (and prolific) after that. Good Luck! :)

As you can see in the picture they've scratched up the newspaper mulch. Anytime I dig up and area they come through and work it some more. If I need an area cleared I dig it a bit with the pick or hoe and then they come and dig around some more.

I have to protect every thing with a circle of poultry wire or it gets dug out. Somethings have to get established.

Now tell me. How can I be insured big fat stalks of rhubarb? Also at the farmers market someone had some labeled heritage. What kind is that? I've only found two kinds. Canada Red and Victoria.

As you can see in the picture they've scratched up the newspaper mulch.  Anytime I dig up and area they come through and work it some more.  If I need an area cleared I dig it a bit with the pick or hoe and then they come and dig around some more.  

I have to protect every thing with a circle of poultry wire or it gets dug out. Somethings have to get established.  

Now tell me. How can I be insured big fat stalks of rhubarb?   Also at the farmers market someone had some labeled heritage.  What kind is that?   I've only found two kinds.  Canada Red and Victoria. 

Id like an answer too! I have rhubarb starts with pencil thin stalks! I want the BIG MEATY ones :p How long to I have to wait! I have to say I did peel and eat a pencil thin one with a dash of salt--ewww weee tasty stuff!

Back
Top Bottom