What are you canning now?

he.gif

I spent the last 35 minutes canning my last jars of pasta sauce. The lids were Mainstays (Walmart brand). EVERY ONE of them came out with the lid dented. It's like they buckled during processing. I had to pull them all off (while hot) re-lid and am processing them again. But now it's 11:15 and I have to work in the morning! I am peeved! Every last one came out bad, while all the Ball lids are fine. They will be hearing from me tomorrow!
rant.gif

I'm still up canning too. Off to shower and then check the cans that just came out of the water bath.

Good reason to not buy Walmart brand for canning-- I'm glad yo shared that info!!! How long will it take to re-process??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyMom

Last week I canned apple pie filling with corn starch for a thickener. It tasted really good but didn't get as thick as I like. I also canned applesauce, apple butter, apple jelly, and apple syrup .( The syrup was a result of a big batch of jelly that didn't gel. It sure is yummy on waffles! ) I have one and a half more 5 gallon buckets to go. I also froze some peels and cores to cook later for juice for jelly. Why is it always that the week you have the most canning to do it is also 90 plus degrees outside? We'll enjoy it this winter though.

Everything I've ever read about canning has always said do not can with corn starch. Anyone else every heard/read this?

Hi all :). Brand new to 'canning' though I have ignored this thread a few times cause I wanted to try bottling and didn't make the connection duh :)

Anyhoo :). I got given a heap of oranges and grapefruits and not knowing what else to make tried making marmalade. My bread maker has a jam setting so used that and I think it turned out okay.

I'm curious what other than marmelade you can make to bottle from oranges though as I've still got a heap.

We made pie filling with citrus fruits. Looking back I think letting the filling age would mellow the flavors, perhaps reduce the bitterness too.

THe pie filling could also be used to make polish donuts which use raisens, shredded orange rind and chopped apples.

Love marmelade on an English muffin!

Last edited:
Yeah my hubby likes marmalade but I personally can't stand the stuff lol. Thus the quest for other recipes :). I don't like peel which is sort of a given with marmalade. Wondering if it would work without the peel but guessing that's what helps thicken it?

Also been doing some reading and think I've bottled it wrong. I just poured in hot bottles and sealed. Now I've been reading you are supposed to also boil the sealed bottles. My recipe didn't say to do that though.

What difference does it make exactly? Does it just help it last longer? Will mine still be okay for a while?

Last edited:
I never thought about what is the source of the pectin in marmelade. Maybe use bottled or granular pectin??

Oranges come in all shapes and sizes. As it is the pith , the white lining that is bitter, perhaps scape most of that off, or use an orange with a very thin rind. I'm using ornage very loosely here. lol ANy citrus. Would that help? THe peel is important to the product.

Have you googled for marmalades?

The irony in marmalade is that the white bitter part is the pectin. It is also in the seeds and the membranes between the sections. I think people who like bitter are the marmalade likers and the rest of us are trying to figure out how to make orange jelly.
I do know that it has to sit undisturbed for over a week. My husband was turning each one upside down each day looking to see if they had jelled. When I caught him doing it I yelled,"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!" He jumped out of his skin. He did not realize he was the anti jell man. I should have put up a sign.

Back
Top Bottom