What are you canning now?

This is my first year canning...garden slow but so far I've done....

12 pints plus1 quart cinnamon cucumber rings
7 quarts white summer squash
6 pints mayhaw jelly
2 pints mixed hot peppers
3 pints whole tomatos

corn tanked due to drought but managed to get 2 gallon ziplocs in the freezer

I have tons of yellow pear cherry tomatos...any ideas...thanks and happy canning!!

Quote:
pickled banana peppers
droolin.gif

Insiderart - Yummy! Those pickles look GOOD!

I'm canning peaches and more peaches. I ran into a little problem. The peach halves were too big to fit in my jars (I could fit one peach in a pint and 2 in a quart
roll.png
), so I had to slice them.

We chopped up a whole box of peaches last night and are going to turn them into salsa tonight (ran out of time yesterday).

I don't turn my jars over or mess with them until sealed. There's no need to turn them over and you risk damaging the seal if you do.

I did rotate my jars or marmalade daily to try to distribute the fruit better.

Only 6 quarts of green beans today... would have been 7 but one busted on me... man I hate that!
barnie.gif
Thats 3 this year!!! Doing more green beans tomorrow... just dont feel like it today. IF our matoes every come in good, I'll be canning those.
fl.gif

I canned 5 quarts of bread and butter pickles today - my very first! I hope I did it properly - looking at your pictures I don't think I packed them as much as I should have.
hide.gif

Thanks for everyone's great advice and recipes! Hopefully my garden will start producing more. Seems like everything looks gorgeous but not producing much fruit. Its probably a 1/4 acre so it should produce!!!!

Here is the recipe for Apricot Pepper Jelly.

I get my dried Apricots from Costco and they are not that expensive. This has become a signature jelly for me and I have sold tons of it at $5.00 for 8 oz jar. It has a wonderful balance of sweet and hot. Serve as an appetizer on a Wheat Thin cracker with cream cheese and small dollop of jelly on top and there will be NONE left.

Apricot Pepper Jelly

1 cup red bell pepper strips
2 cups cider vinegar
1/3 cup jalapeno peppers, rinsed; stems & seeds removed*
1 1/4 cups (6 oz bag) dried apricot halves, finely slivered
6 cups sugar
1 pouch (3 oz) liquid pectin
5 drops red food color (optional - I don't use)
*If fresh are notavailable, 1/2 cup drained canned (or bottled) whole jalapeno peppers, rinsed, stem & seeds removed.

Directions

Combine pepper strips, vinegar & jalapeno peppers in an electric blender. Process stop-and-go fashion until somewhat ground, but small chunks remain. Combine with apricot strips & sugar in saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat; skim off any foam. Cool 2 minutes, then mix in pectin & food color (if using). Pour into sterilized jars & fasten lids. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Cool.

Happy canning

Sandee

Well now I'm making crystallized ginger for my pear ginger preserves. A little spice jar of crystallized ginger was OVER $7!! Ha! No way. Ginger is so cheap fresh. Here's to hoping I get these pears done tonight! I'm tired of them hanging over my head!

Back
Top Bottom