What are you canning now?

Just a quick comment. Not canning anything at the moment, but...........

Please be careful when purchasing jars. Many of the craft stores and others are selling colored jars. Be sure that these are safe for canning, because some are NOT. Check the label to be sure and when in doubt I wouldn't use them. Even some of the clear jars are not safe for food use.

You want to have some fun?
Go into the run with a carrot and a potato peeler.
I think they think the are golden worms from heaven.

Too funny! I had half a carrot that my son didn't eat so I decided to grate it to make it easier for the chicks to eat and they gobbled them up!

I have 4 tomato plants starting to ripen. In the past, we have just eaten what we could in salads, tacos, omelets but I don't want to see them all go to waste this year. We do not like canned tomatoes in our house, but maybe I could try salsa? Does anyone have an easy recipe/tips/tricks for canning salsa? I made pickles for the first time this year, I might as well try salsa!

I have 4 tomato plants starting to ripen. In the past, we have just eaten what we could in salads, tacos, omelets but I don't want to see them all go to waste this year. We do not like canned tomatoes in our house, but maybe I could try salsa? Does anyone have an easy recipe/tips/tricks for canning salsa? I made pickles for the first time this year, I might as well try salsa!

The wife uses mine for Chili and sauce. Salsa is another good use. You can also freeze them skin and all. Thaw them and the skins come right off.

If you don't have enough at one time freeze them and then thaw and can them.

The wife uses mine for Chili and sauce. Salsa is another good use. You can also freeze them skin and all. Thaw them and the skins come right off.

If you don't have enough at one time freeze them and then thaw and can them.

Didn't know you could freeze them whole. I like that idea!

I could see my kids up on top of the coop with a bucket of carrots making it rain, and the swarm of birds just like this
droolin.gif
Part of the scraps that I gave them was carrot scraps. I think only one carrot and peeler might be a little bit too slow for this many chicken, ducks and geese. I have to make some relish today so I might give them the extra cucumber ends, then step back and watch the show. I think I might even give them the extra lettuce from my garden that has went to seed.

The favorite thing I made with pears was Pear Jelly. That was good stuff! I cooked up the skins and cores with some extra pears I had and got a lot of juice out of them. I didn't like the spices in the pear butter - I am going to try it as a substitute for oils in a white cake mix one of these days - kinda like using apple sauce in a cake mix when your on weight watchers. Never tried that either...
I've made Caramel Pear Jam and it doesn't last long. Very popular with my family/friends.

I used to look at the canning peelings, and the garden waste and think,"What a waste," Now I think,"the girls are going to love this!"
If I had more of anything than I had time to process before it started to go, I always beat myself up. Now it is okay because it is chicken food.
My happy little dispose-alls.
smile.png
Me too! So glad to have my pigs with feathers.

Quote: I've eaten 2 and 3 year old jams without any issue. I make far more jam than I can eat in one year, and you can only give so much away!

So I guess Grandma's 20+ year old stuff is really iffy.
lau.gif
Some of it has changed colors, so I know that is bad, but I am flat out scared to even open the lids on them. They look pretty, it is supposed to be beets so it is purple, with white fuzzy stuff on top.
sickbyc.gif
Yep, white and fuzzy = very bad.

I'm so going to try that.
big_smile.png

I too have not found a terrific salsa recipe. I've tried several, and they are okay, but not what I'm looking for.

You could also do tomato sauce with basil. I did some up last year and it was really good, I just use it instead of spaghetti. I also did a zesty salsa that was really good, I got raving reviews and told I need to put it in the fair this year. Still not going to enter it, but maybe when I get a little bit braver in the future.

Back
Top Bottom