What are you canning now?

I was just looking to see how long it was when I said I would update! Oh my goodness it has been too long!

The sauerkraut turned out so good that I wasn't able to process it in a hot water bath. The jalapeños that I first did went over to my parents house since my mother loves jalapeños more than I do. The pickled daikon turned out wonderful and has been a delightful treat.

With that, I did six more jars of sauerkraut, two large jars of jalapeños for my mother, started processing grapes for grape jelly and need to start on my half a flat of strawberries for preserves! I have had so much fun and it has been a wonderful treat!

Congrats on getting into canning! I just started last year by teaching myself how to can cherry jam. This year I am trying to can everything in the yard! I did rhubarb and cherry jam and pickles so far. I have been processing and freezing tomatoes for eventual canning into sauce. Just wait until those apples come ripe on the tree!

Yesterday I did 14 quarts of vanilla cinnamon pear sauce and 3 quarts of pear juice. Today I finished up the pears with 6 quarts of vanilla pear sauce and 9 half pints of pear butter.

Just did 8 pints of diced tomatoes, no water, just added salt and lemon juice. They separated a lot-- liquid on the bottom, tomatoes on top. I searched and found this is supposed to be caused by heating then cooling, then heating the tomatoes again, but I didn't really do that.

I dunked them in hot water, to peel. Then in ice water, peeled, diced, into a big stainless bowl. Once I had a bowlful, raw packed into hot pint jars, then into the pressure canner. The only think I can think of is, I had the pressure canner on a simmer burner on my new-ish stove, and even cranked to high it didn't bring it to boiling. I fired up another burner and slid the canner over and it started venting steam within a few minutes.

I'm sure the quality isn't an issue, but they just don't look pretty. I like looking at my pretty jars
big_smile.png
. Guess these get to go in the back lol.

Just did 8 pints of diced tomatoes, no water, just added salt and lemon juice. They separated a lot-- liquid on the bottom, tomatoes on top. I searched and found this is supposed to be caused by heating then cooling, then heating the tomatoes again, but I didn't really do that.

I dunked them in hot water, to peel. Then in ice water, peeled, diced, into a big stainless bowl. Once I had a bowlful, raw packed into hot pint jars, then into the pressure canner. The only think I can think of is, I had the pressure canner on a simmer burner on my new-ish stove, and even cranked to high it didn't bring it to boiling. I fired up another burner and slid the canner over and it started venting steam within a few minutes.

I'm sure the quality isn't an issue, but they just don't look pretty. I like looking at my pretty jars
big_smile.png
. Guess these get to go in the back lol.

Mine always do that, but I use the water bath method. You cold also try to pack more in the jar, my mentor told me to really push them in and if extra juice comes out it is ok, because it just means you will have more tomatoes in the jar.

Did 12 half-pints of mulled cider jelly. Juiced the apples today and then added spices with the sugar. The juice started out at clear/light pink, but oxidation hit it in the boil where it then ended up like a light root beer color. TASTY, though. Like apple pie in a jar.

Last edited:

I'm sure the quality isn't an issue, but they just don't look pretty. I like looking at my pretty jars :D . Guess these get to go in the back lol. 

This happens when you raw pack them. If you heat them after they are peeled, etc and then pack in the jars hot, you don't get seperation. It doesn't have anything to do with your pressure canning.

Did 12 half-pints of mulled cider jelly.  Juiced the apples today and then added spices with the sugar.  The juice started out at clear/light pink, but oxidation hit it in the boil where it then ended up like a light root beer color.  TASTY, though.  Like apple pie in a jar.

This sounds absolutely delicious! Where can I find "how to" information?

I have a FreshTech Jam & Jelly maker, so the recipe I use is from Ball's website:

Mulled Apple Cider Jelly

3 C. apple juice
3.5 T Classic Pectin
3 C. sugar
1 heaping teas. cinnamon
1 heaping 1/3 t allspice
1 heaping 1/3 t nutmeg
1 heaping 1/3 t ground cloves

Mix spices into sugar. Whisk pectin into apple juice, put in FreshTech, press Jelly, add sugar mixture at beep.

Those without machines: Whisk pectin into apple juice, add sugar, bring to a boil (however long you do for jelly), waterbath or pressure can.

You can use fresh or frozen apple juice from concentrate. Avoid AJ that has calcium added as that will inhibit jelling.

Back
Top Bottom