What are you canning now?

That looks good. Wish our stores did that up in Washington and Idaho. I could have them roast all my peppers and then I could just can them myself.

I'm surprised you can't find them in Idaho, they roast chili peppers at the farmers market here in Cheyenne. I have to be careful to locate the roasters right away so I don't walk through the smoke and vapors. I seem to be developing an allergic reaction to peppers, and the first time I was at the farmers market when the roasters were going, I felt my eyes water and it started to feel like my throat was closing up. My friend said she heard a wheeze and then I vanished, actually I just left the area and sat down till my eyes dried up.

Several recipes and books just tell about the shredding, salting, weighting down and checking every day or two and skimming off of scum. But the Ball Blue book states that fermentation can take from 3-6 weeks and then you can can it. Bring the sauerkraut to a simmer (180 degrees) and put the kraut into hot jars, half an inch of head room. Ladle hot liquid over it leaving half an inch. Water bath can it 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.

I can't believe how much the cabbage shrinks and how much water it releases. It seems to be working just the way they say it would, always exciting! It has been less than twenty four hours, and the crock is only half full and the water is at the plate, so I bet by later today it will cover the plate.

I'm surprised you can't find them in Idaho, they roast chili peppers at the farmers market here in Cheyenne. I have to be careful to locate the roasters right away so I don't walk through the smoke and vapors. I seem to be developing an allergic reaction to peppers, and the first time I was at the farmers market when the roasters were going, I felt my eyes water and it started to feel like my throat was closing up. My friend said she heard a wheeze and then I vanished, actually I just left the area and sat down till my eyes dried up.

I can check, I am pretty sure our farmers market didn't have a roaster last year, it is a really small farmers market, about 8 tables and they call it good. We had a person playing his guitar last year though!!

Today has been long but fulfilling. I canned sixteen quarts of green beans , three pints of dill pickles, four pints of bread and butter zucchini slices ( I've never tried these, but so many people on here have mentioned them so I went with it!), and six quarts of vanilla pear sauce. I also have pear butter cooking in the crock pot to can in the morning, and I also froze three more quart size bags of shredded zucchini to make bread later.

Several recipes and books just tell about the shredding, salting, weighting down and checking every day or two and skimming off of scum. But the Ball Blue book states that fermentation can take from 3-6 weeks and then you can can it. Bring the sauerkraut to a simmer (180 degrees) and put the kraut into hot jars, half an inch of head room. Ladle hot liquid over it leaving half an inch. Water bath can it 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.

I can't believe how much the cabbage shrinks and how much water it releases. It seems to be working just the way they say it would, always exciting! It has been less than twenty four hours, and the crock is only half full and the water is at the plate, so I bet by later today it will cover the plate.

Does it smell when it is fermenting? I don't really have a lot of places to put something for 3-6 weeks while it ferments without animals getting into it.

Got 2 pints of pears started yesterday, and 2 quarts of tomatoes. Doing apple sauce and apple juice today, we shall see how much I get from these, majority of them are "damaged" apples from Dad's semi truck load that shifted so the boxes didn't look pretty. Going to be my last year(if the loads are stacked properly) of store bought apples, we have enough apple trees finally producing enough apples this last year that I won't have to buy apples for juice or sauce. Thinking about possibly expanding into apple jelly, see how the kids like it. Had my first jar break yesterday for the year, my quart of pears had the bottom pop off, so that was a little frustrating, but oh well, I have more I guess.

I've had the bottoms break off before. It sure is annoying when you open the canner lid and your fruit or vegetables are floating in the water ! Argh! I made a bunch of apple jelly last year from juice made from boiling the peels and cores. It turned out surprisingly well after I figured out just the right amount of time to boil it to get it to set up. The trick is to make small batches. The first batch I did never did set up ( I tried to double the recipe ) so I ended up with some apple syrup. It was great on pancakes though so nobody complained!
Today I canned 10 half pints of pear butter and five quarts of tomatoes.

Today has been long but fulfilling. I canned sixteen quarts of green beans , three pints of dill pickles, four pints of bread and butter zucchini slices ( I've never tried these, but so many people on here have mentioned them so I went with it!), and six quarts of vanilla pear sauce. I also have pear butter cooking in the crock pot to can in the morning, and I also froze three more quart size bags of shredded zucchini to make bread later.
I tried bread and butter zucchini pickles for the first time this year. My son was raving about them.

Vanilla pear sauce sounds great!

Sooo... I have been looking at this thread for quite some time and wanting to try my hand at canning. But unfortunately the Internet has scared me into not wanting to try. Botulism sounds so scary. I finally found something easy to start. Sauerkraut and pickled daikon. My mom has been making pickled daikon for years, so I figured why not. Just started the fermentation of the sauerkraut and just finished with the daikon. We will see in a couple of days as to how they turn out.
All of you canners out there, thanks you for giving me the nerves to try something new!

I was just looking to see how long it was when I said I would update! Oh my goodness it has been too long!

The sauerkraut turned out so good that I wasn't able to process it in a hot water bath. The jalapeños that I first did went over to my parents house since my mother loves jalapeños more than I do. The pickled daikon turned out wonderful and has been a delightful treat.

With that, I did six more jars of sauerkraut, two large jars of jalapeños for my mother, started processing grapes for grape jelly and need to start on my half a flat of strawberries for preserves! I have had so much fun and it has been a wonderful treat!

Did 9 quarts of spaghetti sauce and 6qt of tomato juice today. I think Sunday I will have enough tomatoes to do more. Tomorrow we are picking our apples so we can make apple juice, applesauce, apple pie filling, and apple butter. I might dehydrate some just to see if the kiddos like them. I think it will be a long but satisfying weekend.

Back
Top Bottom