What are you canning now?

3goodeggs, I get bare-root strawberries and usually plant them in November, with a harvest in April thru June.The variety is chandler & it grows well in Louisiana. I had to order them from a country town nursery about 4 hours away from New Orleans, but a friend is going to pick them up for me & bring them to within 50 miles from here. They were 25 cents each, but they are bare root and they look like this: http://www.spadespatula.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/screen-shot-2011-06-27-at-4-52-18-pm.png You have to be very careful planting them since they are very particular about the depth. But you can't beat the price if you have enough space & time to let them grow.

Today was the final harvest. Took the last of the Cortlands off the tree.... Now just have to decide what to do with them....

Also awoke to the raucous sound of crows (about 20) trying to open pecans on our skylights. That told me it was time to harvest the pecans, too!

Harvestable crops done for the year. All trees and vines and shrubs looking to keep me occupied with the cleanup duties of Fall.

3goodeggs, I get bare-root strawberries and usually plant them in November, with a harvest in April thru June.The variety is chandler & it grows well in Louisiana. I had to order them from a country town nursery about 4 hours away from New Orleans, but a friend is going to pick them up for me & bring them to within 50 miles from here. They were 25 cents each, but they are bare root and they look like this: http://www.spadespatula.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/screen-shot-2011-06-27-at-4-52-18-pm.png You have to be very careful planting them since they are very particular about the depth. But you can't beat the price if you have enough space & time to let them grow.
When you mean careful planting them, you mean not to bury the crown?

I'd love to have enough berries to make jam.

When you mean careful planting them, you mean not to bury the crown?

I'd love to have enough berries to make jam.

Here's a good video that shows the planting process. Because I live in Louisiana with high heat & humidity, it's difficult to keep strawberries from year to year. Too many diseases & insects. I'm not sure about Florida, but your local extension service can help you out.

Very informative. Thank you.
My husband brought me some home last night! I was not expecting it.

I can not imagine being able to keep them over summer though. We steam them by June.
Someone said I can grow them from seed, and it just never occurred to me to try.

We're just getting pecans here. Our harvest will last through the winter usually.

Still canning up the last of the garden. Making cowboy candy from the last bowl of jalapenos. Thinking about making chow chow with the mound of green tomatoes I have too.

We did our pecan harvest last week.... The crows let me know they were ready. And I shucked the semi-open ones...wish I hadn't because it stained my thumbs and nails BLACK.

Had a work job this morning and rather than going with nails that looked like they belonged to an auto mechanic I painted them black. Not really my style, but whatcha gonna do?

Had a work job this morning and rather than going with nails that looked like they belonged to an auto mechanic I painted them black.  Not really my style, but whatcha gonna do?

I wish I had pecans to stain my nails. But I can surely use this idea when my nails are stained from blueberries or blackberries!

Back
Top Bottom