What are you canning now?

Well I had my runners in the pods like that but I don't think they were all that dry so I popped them out and have the bean laying on a paper towel for right now. Should I leave them till they're wrinkly or put them in a paper envelope? 

I'd like to get the hang of it so I can store beans for  Chili and not have to buy them. 

My dried shelled runners don't go wrinkly... Just firm and dry to the touch... In a paper envelope I think they'd be able to keep drying... I've dried them on a screen before too, works well

Last edited:
It is really easy to save seed . They must be fully dry before sealing airtight . I use ziplock bags or envelopes . I let mine dry on top of the water heater in the basement . Warm but not hot . This speeds up drying . I have some drying now . No need to refrigerate
Ditto.

I lay mine out on paper towels for at least a week. If they are not completely dry and you put them in plastic, they will mold. I like to store mine in paper bags.

I have a yellow tomato (Golden) that does well in the greenhouse, but this year, It is acting very peculiar. I am hoping it is just the heat, last year was cooler at this time.
(The leaves are throwing flowers.)
Either I have genetic issues and need to start over, or it is just a random thing.

I save lettuce seed, but I do not isolate, so I do not really know what it is anymore.

I have a yellow tomato (Golden) that does well in the greenhouse, but this year, It is acting very peculiar. I am hoping it is just the heat, last year was cooler at this time.
(The leaves are throwing flowers.)
Either I have genetic issues and need to start over, or it is just a random thing.

I save lettuce seed, but I do not isolate, so I do not really know what it is anymore.

Is this saved seed? Cross pollinating happen? Some hybrid seeds don't always come true.

I've had cherry tomatoes that self sow and the fruit is a slightly different color and tasted terrible.

My favorite yellow type is Burpees "Italian Ice". I had a yellow variety one year that was awful. Thankfully I only grew one plant.

Yellow tomatoes ( golden boy ) I save year after year... And brandy wine tomatoes, laxton and sugar pod peas, and sweet mama butter cup squash...

We used to like acorn squash but I grew a Buttercup on year and that was much better. I hand pollinated them.

I grew Butternut but we didn't like it. Though it was nice cuz the skin was so hard the chickens couldn't get through it.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom