What are you canning now?

There are about 7-10 different varieties of apples in the truck there. I'm not sure what the names of the varieties are, as these are out growing wild and were planted so long ago that no one living remembers these trees or who planted them. Maybe an apple professional could tell by looking at the fruit what kind they are. We normally choose which we will pick or pick up by the flavor....no flavor, we give them a pass. Lot's of flavor, very juicy and with good texture, we harvest them.

I found out that you can save a lot of work if making applesauce. I wash well then core them and cut in half. Fill my huge pot and add just a few inches of water. The peels come off when you strain it and add pretty color to it if they're red. Or you can put in a few crabapple for color. Less waste. Cores to the compost and the chickens get the skins.

We lost all our apples to hoards of squirrels..they stripped every tree and we didn't get a bead on a single one to kill it.  Too busy working to sit for days trying to ping one of the little thieves.  This year's squirrel hunting season is ON, I tell ya!  :mad:   I'm going to can up squirrel for the first time! 

Oh those stinkers lol... Goes to show that no matter how much we think we have our "eggs in a basjet", we don't make the call when it comes time to harvest ;). I'm recalling EVERY thing I've ever had to race for lol... Chokecherries from the birds (which I FINALLY got a decent harvest this year, I beat em!), sweet corn from the coons, deer, and anything else with 2-6 legs..... Weather. :p

I've learned to take what I can and be happy with it lol; sure, I'm sick if green beans and had to buy a new deep freeze for them, but I've never had such a good year on beans, and I may never again, so I'll take the work for now... I feel guilty because I wasted 50# of apples at least last year, got lazy and thought I would make it up this year. NO APPLES AT ALL. :(

Eating air imagining applesauce... Lesson learned ;)

:lol:   After they've had their fall mast, they are a very good meal....very flavorful.  I've never canned one before, but it would render it extremely tender...squirrel gravy!!!  :drool

I'll post pics of Grannie's copper kettle in use and all the canned up sauce and such.  Should be a beautiful day for it, as the weather will be fall time pretty all week.  We plan on making a day of it and having a "working" where the menfolk(my boys) will get in firewood and the women will do apples and cooking the feast, then we'll have a bonfire/weeny roast that night.  It will feel like old times. 

Probably one if my favorite pastimes! Getting everyone to help makes it so much more of a fun day than a big workload... I'm sure my kids hate being drug out to pick things and they're almost old enough to start slicing and dicing, so I'm eagerly awaiting some HELP around here! :D

Last edited:
My grandmother mom and I just got done doing a few pints of black raspberry jelly, a bushel of peaches, 17 bushels of tomatoes into spegetti sauce, 2 bushel into stewed tomatoes,we froze 22 dozen corn, 1 bushel of pickled bell pepper, a few quarts of pickled hot peppers. We still have a lot more to do between beets, pickled cauliflower, green bean, grape juice and a few others I can't remember right know. I love to jar we get so busy during the rest of the year and its just nice to spend time like that together
here is some of are spegetti sauce

Those are just lovely!!!
love.gif
I agree...canning is a special time between my mother and I. We talk about old times as we sit and process the veggies and fruit. I get to hear all the old stories of her youth again and it never really gets old. I think such times are quickly being lost between generations as people abandon the old ways of growing and preserving their own foods and I'm so glad to hear that it continues on in some homes across the land.

Wish I had more sauce in the jar...our maters didn't do as well this year and we had to purchase some, so we just canned the essentials from those...soup base and such. Congrats on your abundance of healthy, homemade, flavor filled sauce....nothing in the store can compete with that!
droolin.gif

Canned sweet corn (Golden Bantam grown my myself), tomato sauce (with tomatoes from the garden), and home-grown pole beans. Also freezing bone broth and a family soup broth recipe in our deep freezer, with plans to can some beef stew and chicken noodle soup!

Also got a few pounds of apples, so homemade canned apple pie filling and homemade canned applesauce are in the works too.

Last edited:
I had a counter full of tomatoes and a limited time schedule. Then remembered that in the back closet was a Victorio food strainer AND motor. Wham, bam, mater spam! In no time flat there was a gallon or so of simmering tomato pulp (seeds and skins to the chooks!) Put up six pints of tomato juice (I had my husband into it when I said 'Think of it, Honey, a homegrown Bloody Mary") and several quarts of spaghetti sauce. I love kitchen gadgets and I think this Victorio may be my new favorite.....

(We've got a grape harvest coming up and I notice a grape extractor in the box of attachments. Too, the squash strainer will be great for the blue hubbards that we seem to have planted too many of)

Sorted apples today into sauce, juice and deer apples. Then drove for awhile across state lines to my sister's house and picked her four trees...the apples were small and not real plentiful, but had a good flavor and we were grateful to get them. They will be sorted accordingly in preparation for the day of kettling the sauce. Will start prepping for that on Wed....we will have lovely weather all week for this harvest and I thank God for it!

I just finished off 100 pounds of apples. I need more.

I did two huge batches of sauce today. It is unflippin' believable great. We still have apple butter from last october. That should last us until next summer.

Next is apple pie filling. But will have to wait until we cool off again. We're back over 90'.

I did boil down cider for baking this past sunday. I love it for apple fritters and cake.

I might have to collect more apples for more sauce.

Cowboy candy was done sunday as well x2.

I still want to do corn, but need to find a good price for it.

Back
Top Bottom