What are you canning now?

How long are you processing? This would save so much time. And with soon to be 14 kids we can a lot! This would help time wise!

I just canned 3 quarts of dried pintos and 4 jars of great northern. My daughter is truly impressed with how great they turned out. I need to do some garbanzos soon. I also need to make more pickled cabbage because we eat it up really fast. Of course it is only water bath canned.

I got 12 watermelons from our church yesterday and am thinking about watermelon pickles or preserves. The rind is not thick so probably preserves or else the chickens or compost will take care of them. I might try dehydrating some watermelon fruit because it is supposed to be really good that way or freeze some for my morning smoothies. We gave 2 away so far and will probably give some more away soon. The Wildbunch is eating it. In one days time the first one cut is almost gone!

@lcertuche Did you soak the beans overnight before canning them? and did you season them at all?

I would like to try canning some beans and see how it goes. They are so good for you, but take so dang long to make from scratch that I almost never make anything with beans besides chili. I use store bought beans, but would prefer to have homemade available instead.

DH has decided that he likes black beans, so if anyone has a good recipe for black beans like you get as a side at a Mexican restaurant, I would be extremely thankful for a recipe or two to try.

I have soaked them before but it comes out fine either way. I just put a cup of dried beans in the jar with a scant teaspoon of salt, fill it with boiling water, put the lid and ring on. Then pressure it for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure (my elevation recommendation). They come out perfect. I make them in pints too. I usually will use this size for my lunch some days. I can't eat a whole pint but I sure try, lol. My daughter was amazed at how soft they were after canning. 90 minutes sure beats all day plus I have some to put in the pantry. Pintos make good refried beans but all kinds can up good. I've heard that certain beans have some sort of toxic thing that requires them to be soaked first. All I can say is sometimes I soak beans and sometimes not and I have never died. Until I got my canner (recently) I mostly cooked them in a slow cooker. I have to say I like the canned ones better. Just my opinion!

Our church gave its members cucumbers, tomatoes and green bell peppers. I made 18 quarts and 10 pints of bread and butter pickles and dill pickles. I still plan on making some dill pickle relish. I also made 3 quart jars of crushed tomatoes, and have dehydrated and froze close to a crate of bell peppers.

They let all the members have a flat of each vegetable and then what people didn't want they gave to me because they know I will use it somehow because I love FREE food, lol.
This was my first batch. I will have to buy some more jars soon before I can do much more.

Back
Top Bottom