What are you canning now?

Anyone try canning on a glass top stove?

I love to can, and we remodled our kitchen and put in a glass top stove (so much eaiser to keep clean). We planned on putting in a summer kitchen out in the garage but things have been so busy the summer kitchen isnt going to happen this year.

Quote:
We have a 46" glass top stove - 6 burner and LOVE it. However, the inexpensive black/white enamel canning pot won't register on the burners. The ridges in the bottom of the pot don't make enough contact to keep the burner on. I had to buy another pot with a flat bottom and it works great. The only regret when we remodeled was I didn't know about the glass top that can heat a pot of water in 90 seconds! But I LOVE my stove and easiest thing in the world to keep clean.

Happy canning

Sandee

Quote:
WOW 21 quarts of green beans! that's great I need to get some Jalapeno Apricot jelly done. It has turned out to be my signature jam with family and friends. What type of pepper jelly do you make?

Sandee

We are going to be picking more green beans tonight for me to can this week......

Dragonfly Ranch - I really dont have a recipe, was trying to find a good one... I ate this one a long time ago at my Dh's works x-mas party...

Pepper Jelly...
4 cups of Cider Vinegar
5 lbs of sugar

Heat vinegar and sugar in large kettle

12 medium green or red peppers ( which every you choose to make )

Blend 1 pepper and small amount of vinegar mixture to get blender started.
Blend rest of peppers until fine.
Add blended peppers to vinegar mixture and bring to boil.
Boil for 2 minutes. Add 2 - 1 oz of certo liquid.
Return to full boil for 1 min.
Remover from heat and add 4-6 drops of Tabasco sauce.
Add desired food coloring.

Pour into jars and seal

NOTE: May need to add more certo to thicken. I usually have too.
It depends on the peppers (how watery) and the humidity.

ate it with crackers and cream cheese....

By the way... Jalapeno Apricot jelly... bet thats some good stuff!

Last edited:
Quote:
Black Bean and Corn Salsa sound like something I'd like to try. Each year I make 1-2 new preserved recipes.
I had planned to can up some Veggie Soup a few months ago, but got busy so I froze it instead. I'd really like to try canning soup.

I was running all day with my DD. She is starting at a new college and there's much to do before classes begin.
I did manage to get some zucchini sliced and blanched and put into the freezer.

A question for those that make pepper jelly and jam, if you don't mind.
smile.png

All the recipes I have use Certo liquid pectin. Does anyone have one that uses pectin in powdered form?

prairiegirl

prairiegirl wrote:

A question for those that make pepper jelly and jam, if you don't mind.smile
All the recipes I have use Certo liquid pectin. Does anyone have one that uses pectin in powdered form?

I want to know too... I only have the powder?​

Quote:
I want to know too... I only have the powder?

Here you go. Works like a charm!:

Hot Pepper Jelly (powdered pectin)

2 1/2 cups finely chopped red bell peppers, drained
1 1/4 cups finely chopped green bell peppers, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno peppers, drained
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 (1.75 ounce) packages powdered pectin
5 cups white sugar
note: you can substitute equal amounts of sweet and hot banana peppers for the bell peppers and jalapenos.

Place red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers in a large saucepan over high heat. Mix in vinegar and fruit pectin. Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Quickly stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil, and boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and skim off any foam.

Quickly ladle jelly into sterile jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the tops. Cover with flat lids, and screw on bands tightly.

Process for 10 minutes in BWB canner.
To distribute pepper pieces evenly in processed jars, shake the jars after they've cooled about 15 minutes and started to set. The bits of pepper will end-up looking suspended in the translucent jelly - very pretty.

Quote:
Not apple cider ....it calls for apple cider vinegar.

OooooOOO...wish I had your selection of peppers. We've got them all growing, but they're slower coming off.

Back
Top Bottom