What are you canning now?

Finally got the Tomatoes & Okra canned today ... 7 qts

ETA: Been working on Sun Dried Tomatoes with Sea Salt & Basil using the dehydrator. Now up to 11 oz after filling the dehydrator 3 times (5 trays per load)!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh my gosh is that dill pickles with garlic I see? My grandmother used to can dills that way but I cant find her recipe anywhere.
hu.gif

Would you share yours?
hugs.gif

Quote:
Oh my gosh is that dill pickles with garlic I see? My grandmother used to can dills that way but I cant find her recipe anywhere.
hu.gif

Would you share yours?
hugs.gif

Sure thing. I would love too! When I get back home (on phone now) I'll get it for you.

Quote:
That's for sure! I wish I could steal some hours from January.

Yum! Cherry jam!

So right! I still didn't get those pears done! But I have a mint fortune's worth of crystallized Ginger to use now!

Quote:
How did you make the crystallized Ginger?

I peeled and thinly sliced two big rhizomes of fresh Ginger. Then I put those in a sauce pan, covered it with water, and boiled it for 30 minutes until the slices were tender. I drained off the water, measured the Ginger and added an equal measure of sugar with just a couple tablespoons of water. This Ginger, sugar, water concoction I then simmered over low heat for about 1.5 hours until almost dry. Had to watch carefully here to make sure the sugar didn't caramelize on me. Then I turned the candied Ginger out onto a plate that had about 1/2 c granulated sugar on it. Stirred the ginger around in the dry sugar, adding more sugar, until completely coated and dry.
I let this sit out for several hours to cool and dry.

Quote:
How did you make the crystallized Ginger?

I peeled and thinly sliced two big rhizomes of fresh Ginger. Then I put those in a sauce pan, covered it with water, and boiled it for 30 minutes until the slices were tender. I drained off the water, measured the Ginger and added an equal measure of sugar with just a couple tablespoons of water. This Ginger, sugar, water concoction I then simmered over low heat for about 1.5 hours until almost dry. Had to watch carefully here to make sure the sugar didn't caramelize on me. Then I turned the candied Ginger out onto a plate that had about 1/2 c granulated sugar on it. Stirred the ginger around in the dry sugar, adding more sugar, until completely coated and dry.
I let this sit out for several hours to cool and dry.

Yummm....I GOT to try that.

Quote:
hu.gif

Would you share yours?
hugs.gif

Garlic Dill Pickles (Hot Optional)

Packed into Jars:
Cucumbers (sliced)
Garlic (peeled) 2 cloves per quart, 1 per pint
Dill florets 1 per quart, small one per pint
Grape leaves (2 per quart, 1 per pint)
Fresh Cilantro (3 stems per quart, 1 1/2 per pint)
Hot peppers (optional, 2 jalapenos per quart)

Mustard seed (appx: 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per quart)
Peppercorns (appx 1/2 tsp per quart)
(or alternatively instead of jalapenos, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper)

Liquid
5 c vinegar
1 c water
4 tbs pickling salt
1 tsp sugar

1. Prepare jars as you would normally for BWB canning. Place into jars in this order: Garlic cloves, Grape leaves, dill florets, cucumbers (tightly packed) and jalapenos (if making hot pickles).

2. In a sauce pan bring vinegar, water, salt, and sugar to a slight boil.

3. Pour liquid over cucumbers in prepared jars.

4. Into the top of each jar add the mustard seed, peppercorns, and cilantro (and crushed red peppers if making hot).

5. Put on lids and rings and process in a BWB for 10 minutes.

Make sure you poke a few holes in the jalapenos or any pepper you use.

I had to really think hard about this as I tend to start with a recipe and then just start adding things... I did open the small jar of pickles I made and they're good! I would like them to be a bit more garlicky, but I suspect that would come over time as they cured. However, they were not particularly crisp, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I forgot I was processing them and they processed waaay longer than 10 minutes, than does the recipe. Ooops!

Don't look askance at the sugar. They're not sweet at all. I added the sugar to the recipe because I believe a little bit of sugar helps give a fullness to the flavors in a sour recipe.

The great thing about this recipe is you can make as much or little as you want.

Enjoy!
Terri

Last edited:
DF and I did 12 pints and 7 1/2 pints of peach salsa last night. Tomorrow I plan on canning:

2 20# boxes of tomatoes
blueberry-peach jam - thanks for the inspiration on this thread!!
blueberry conserves

It'll be a busy day, and I'm seriously slowed down by an injured thumb. I'm determined to catch up! I'm sooo behind on this year's canning!!

Anyone make tomatoes like this? Its a recipe my grandma have used for 30 + years and no one has gotten sick. My husbands uncle thinks you will get botulism from it? From what I've read tomatoes are like pickles 2 acidic to get botulism.

CANNING TOMATOES

Soak tomato's in very hot water, peel, cut off approx 1/2" of stem end, cut out hard cores, & defects, Cut in halves, or quarters..
Put in very large pot, BRING to a rolling boil, Have fruit jars, lids, hot, Using canning funnel, Ladle boiling tomato's, & Juice into
Hot jars to within 1/2" of top, Add one teaspoon salt to one quart of tomato's ( 1//2 teaspoon salt to one pint), Wipe rim of
Fruit jar real good, put hot lid on with jar ring , tighten, Put on towel, & Cover with another towel till cool. You will hear the lids
Pop as they seal

Back
Top Bottom