What are you canning now?

I canned my first meat yesterday - I got 3 quarts of deer! It has sealed and looks great. I packed it tightly in the jars and added tsp of salt, then processed it at 10 lbs for 90 mins. The juices (broth) in the jar that cooked out of the meat looks like it would make some really good gravy to go with the meat.

Quote:
I am still yet to do any meat! One day... next spring I will have meat chickens and chances are they won't ALL fit in the freezer!

You're so brave!
thumbsup.gif

I am glad you had success with that!
I want to try it eventually, but I want to go with broth first and work my way up.

i made some pickled corn relish http://www.pickyourown.org/pickledcornrelish.htm its about 2 weeks old now.
it's looking like it's split/separating when i canned it it looked smooth, the seal is still good is it still good to eat?
on that web site there's a part that says " If desired, thicken mixture with flour paste (1/4 cup flour blended in 1/4 cup water) and stir frequently. "
i used the flour is this what is causing the splitting/separating?

108326_dsc_3707.jpg

108326_dsc_3708.jpg

Flour is a no go in my canning, it does not have the best stability as a thickener. I would have to say YES that the flour is the reason it is separating and it looks like it will be gritty when you do try to eat it
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom