What are you canning now?

OMG! I ordered my first ever .......PRESSURE CANNER!

I am flipping out! Soo can hardly wait till it arrives. I have a big old turkey in the freezer I think I will defrost just for this.

Debone it ..plop the bones on to boil to make a nice soup and can the meat by itself .. Can the soup I make ...

This is my plan of attack ..I so can't wait.

OMG! I ordered my first ever .......PRESSURE CANNER!

I am flipping out! Soo can hardly wait till it arrives. I have a big old turkey in the freezer I think I will defrost just for this.

Debone it ..plop the bones on to boil to make a nice soup and can the meat by itself .. Can the soup I make ...

This is my plan of attack ..I so can't wait.
Pressure canning soups is one of the most time consuming, yet rewarding tasks. There is nothing better than pulling a jar off the shelf for lunch at home or work and hearing that sweet "pop" sound, followed by the instant aroma of your own home cooking. They make gorgeous and very appreciated additions to holiday gift baskets and more. I LOVE CANNING SOUPS!

In general, I find pressure canning takes a lot of time. Where I can, I use the water bath but that sure limits what you are able to put up. I find it really helps with either kind to do a lot of the prep the day before and then just spend the day doing the actual canning the next day.

HELP all you pressure canners out there. I have never pressure canned ,but I wanted to make Green Chile Stew- really a soup of pork, diced green chilles, onion, and potatoes. I borrowed a canner from my friend, but no book or instructiions. I went on line and found the instructions, but I need to know how long to cook the soup. It is the old style Mirro that locks down and has a rocker on top. The stew is in the roaster, but if I can't can it I won't put the potatoes in because they get mushy in the freezer, I hope someone can help. Thanks,\
Deb

Hi Deb

When you can things with several different types of food in them you need to process for the item that takes the longest...in this case, the meat. If you put it up in pint jars, you'll need to process them for 75 minutes...at 10 lbs pressure if you're under 1000' altitude, at 15 lbs pressure if you're over 1000 feet. If you're canning in quarts, process for 90 minutes.

Hope this helps :)
Mickey

Thanks Mickey, It is in the canner now building pressure. I will put the rocker on and bring it up to 10 lbs. Then 90 minutes.. I sure hope this works. If it does I will be getting a new pressure canner for my bday. One with gauges LOL .

You are so welcome! I have one with a gauge, which is (imo) easier. I love it...it really opens up the possibility for canning just about anything! A bit of advice...even though the price is a bit daunting, get the biggest one you can...if you can an lot of quart size, get one that's tall enough to double stack 'em...what with the building up, processing and cooling down, it seems to take forever to process a pot, so the more you can cram in at once, the better, LOL. I can mostly pints so mine's okay, but if I had it to do again I'd get the next size up.

Do remember to just slide the canner off the heat when it's done and then let it cool down naturally...cooling too rapidly will make all the liquid bubble up and out the jars...ask me how I know this, LOL

I think maybe the seal is not good on this canner. The weight is still not rocking after 15 minutes and steam is escaping around the rim. I may abort this mission and go get a new seal tomorrow if not a new canner, My friend used it this season to do green beans and potatoes so I hope it was working ok . I would hate to loose her to botulism, she is my best buddy. I willl reheat the soup and start with clean jars and new seals. I will give it another 10 minutes. It is rapidly boiling, but I think enough steam is escaping to keep it from pressurizing. Thanks again for the advice.
Deb

Mine does that, rrrmamma. What's happening is that the valve isn't kicking off that is supposed to seal it once it starts steaming. I pop it hard on the handle that thing is in with a rolling pin lol.

I thought too that I'd mention this: I've read that you weren't supposed to put the weight on there till steam has been coming out of that top hole for 10 minutes. Don't know why.

Back
Top Bottom