what are you charging for a dozen?

Quote:
Well I didnt know they were selling eggs,then they said to their customers their price,I was kind of in there first,so I didnt mean to over-price them,but I was there before them,didnt know they come there all the time,never met them,didnt know their set price.

I just bring mine to my office & sell to co-workers. I usually get $2.50/doz. I have gotten $3.50/doz a few times, but I just tell my co-workers that whatever they want to pay is fine with me. Two co-workers do buy eggs from others at around $3-$3.50/doz. I also give them away to my mother-in-law who's getting welfare money & can't afford to pay. My eggs are all currently brown (the white-egg layer hasn't laid any yet this spring), and are probably Medium to Large. I don't get jumbo eggs.

My hens just started laying, so we are eating faster than they are laying.
droolin.gif
But the old egg farmer used to sell his brown eggs for $3/dozen or 2/$5. He's not around anymore, which is why I got day old chicks...just can't beat that fresh egg. At the grocery they're about $1.99 or the new "Aldi" cheap store sells them for $.39/dozen
sickbyc.gif
I don't even want to think about how old those eggs are!

Quote:
I think that would be about $4.

Most of mine go to friends and family. If they kick in a couple of bucks for feeds every now and then, so be it. Those who do, generally kick in $2. That seems to be about the going rate, although there is one farm that sells them for $1.50. They can be pretty pricey at the Farmer's markets, like $3.50 and up. Of course, there's a guy that sells ground goat there for $7.50#.

Last edited:
We were planning on selling to co-workers for about $2, maybe $2.50 a doz. I don't remember if we decided for sure. "Cage free" eggs at the local Meijer go for $3-4/doz. depending on brand and whether or not they are "organic." If they don't want to pay what we're asking, then they can get their fresh eggs elsewhere. With only 7 pullets (and only 6 of them laying regularly) I don't think we'll have much of a problem coming up with uses for "extra" eggs. If they can at least pay for some of their feed costs, I'm happy with that.

I have a little egg business at my job - $2.00-1/2 dozen and $3.00 dozen. Some just want 6 at a time. I have a list at my desk and never have a problem with not enough customers. Mine are X-large to Jumbo too. Other places around here charge just $2.00, but mine are well worth it and folks are happy with them.

over here on oahu, i'm selling eggs for 6 dollars a dozen. my girls get organic feed. that's cheaper than a dozen organic eggs at the store.

i'm real small time though; i only sell a couple dozen a week. i haven't been good about keeping track but i think the egg sales should cover the cost of feed for the whole lot of them.

I live in a rural area where there are lots of chickens. I am selling mine $2.00 a dozen. My dad work in the city and takes some of my eggs to work with him. They are in high demand there and I could probably get $3 easy, but I haven't raised the price. $2 is all I can get for them here locally. There's a family here in the poultry business (eggs, meat, turkeys, etc.) They charge $2.50 a dozen and I know I can't beat them for their reputation.

I get $2 a dz. and the woman up the road from me gets $1.50 dz. but when she has no eggs I DO and get what I ask. I HAVE to get this much to pay for the feed and if eggs aren't selling as quick as I might like I just eat them. Extremely cheap good protein and my girls are raised with more care, I feel, than the other egg persons.

I sell my extra for $2/ doz to my partners co-worker. I could easily get 3 but figure it was my good fortune how well the girls are laying and 2 bucks easily covers the cost of feed and sundries for those 12 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom