what are you charging for a dozen?

the going rate around here is $3.50 a dozen for free-range. I have half dozens @$2.00.
You can't get orange yolks at the grocery for love nor money.
They say they're free-range but they are still pale yellow and tasteless.

The past 6 weeks our grocery stores have run a couple of week-long 99-cent/dozen specials.

But more typically they're in the range of $2-$2.50/doz white, $2.50-$3/doz brown, $3.50-$4/doz "organic".

Considering what I've spent on my girls, I would need to charge $8/doz to break even this first year!

But I'm not registered with the state to sell, anyway, so select neighbors, friends, and family get some of them for the cost of a carton and occasional dog-sitting favors.

The eggs our all of our hens lay aren't the same as what comes from an egg factory 1000 miles away.

We feed ours organic feed and let them free range. After checking what the local grocery stores (Whole Paycheck among others) ask for organic "free range" brown eggs, we're going to ask $5/dozen and $7 for 18 eggs. This is with my wife taking them in to her office downtown and selling to coworkers. We'll put a little feather in each dozen. I figured out that if we get $6/wk, we should be able to cover feed costs.

-DB

Quote:
Awwwwwww. I'm sorry to hear that. I know exactly what you mean. Same way for me. I only get $1.50 for mine but my organic customers will give me up to $5.00 for my eggs.

Yep, I live in a rural area too so $2 is pretty cheap compared to what I could get in a larger city. Here there's several folks selling their extra eggs up and down the nearest larger road.

I too give my next door neighbors eggs for free, and my cousins too. There was a local family that I would drop off some eggs to nearly every week and tell them I had too many and couldn't sell them so they were doing me a favor for taking them.
wink.png
That's as it should be! If I could, I'd have given them a few chicks but they've moved out of the area and that may have been harder for them to manage, though the kids would have enjoyed it I think.

Some folks over-pay and won't take change back, some sort of grumble about someone else who only charges $1 a doz. I just smile and wait for them to decide.

The cash I get just helps to buy some feed. No way will I ever make a profit at it! LOL

$3.00 a dozen, mixed colors brown, blue/green and white - we sell at 3 farmers markets, including a nearby city and 2 smaller markets.

Back
Top Bottom