what are you charging for a dozen?

I'm selling mine for $2 out here...As long as I have some green ones to give out, each dozen gets a green one. I have big ol' eggs and regular sized eggs. No one seem to complain about it. They just like the fact they get some fresh eggs.

Here in Tulsa, OK a dozen has been selling for $4.25 at the farmer's market. I sell to my friends for $3.50. The chickens pay for their own feed most months. It really is widely variable depending on where you live.
wink.png

Back in the day my mama sold eggs for 50 cents a dozen. When I get my laying hens I might charge 75 cents to a dollar per dozen.
roll.png

The guy down my road who has brown egg layers charges 2 dollars a dozen.
hmm.png
So now I have to compete with him.

$2.00 for customers who bring clean cartons to be refilled $2.50 for the people that do not. Thats for jumbo eggs. Bantam eggs are just a dollar a dozen here.

I have one friend who sells ducks eggs at $3/doz. Customers stop by the barn pick out a carton from the 'frig and leave the $. She's 20 min away from me. Then another place on the other side of town sell chicken eggs for $3/ dozen. I'm planning on $3/doz also. We are in a rural area of Massachusetts (not Worcester, not Boston) . . . still may not cover the grain costs . . . but I'm hoping . . . .At last look Shaw's (local grocery chain store) sells large brown eggs for about $1.75/doz. I'm a little worried no one will buy mine at $3/doz.
sad.png

$2.50 doz for chicken eggs/ 2.50 ea for mixed breed chicks
$5.00 doz for duck eggs/ $3.50 ea for ducklings
I sell an 18ct carton of the smallest eggs to the little old down the road for $2.50. She's in her 80's and eats 2 eggs a day. I've known her since I was a wee child. She's also a great source of information for hobby farming, folk remedies, canning, etc. Sort of an adopted mom since mine lives 2 hrs away.

My own sister won't buy eggs from me because she can get them at the grocery store 2 doz for $3.00. I ask her all the time, "didn't we grow up in the same house?" She's never had a "thing" for animals. I must have gotten all those genes.

Ours are 3.00 doz.They are a rainbow assortment.I went to York Farmers market once and I was sold out of my 3 dollar a doz eggs way before the people next to me who were selling their rir eggs for 2 a doz.
wee.gif
Also I had an edge,I had duck and quail eggs selling them for 4 dollars a doz each.
celebrate.gif

I get $2 a dozen too. If you have neighbors who sell for a certain price, it may be best to match their price at least to people who might go there. Or talk to the other guy about what he charges etc. Here, when other chicken keepers ask me what I charge, they get a relieved look on their face when they hear that I'm asking the same price as they are, or more. In my small town, charging less would be a reason for grudges to start. If they hear I'm charging more, they all say, maybe they should raise their prices too. I have no trouble selling all my eggs.

Keep in mind, it's very difficult to raise your prices once you get started. Regular customers get upset. I take eggs one town over, and charge a bit more there, but it's important to keep the different groups from finding out!

Back
Top Bottom