1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are you planting or growing this year?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Shawnee_b, May 12, 2012.

1. Shawnee_b

Shawnee_b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Raised beds actually are very good. In Maine I grew in 5 gal buckets, window boxes, planters and did just fine. I pickle but haven't pressure canned. This year I plan to pressure can. Pic is puna keera pickled bread and butter. Pickled green beans, okra, pickled green mterseggs of course a red and a green picante and lots of hot sauce!
    [​IMG]

2. Jodi * Bend OR

Jodi * Bend OR Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Thank you so much for the URL, onebigglo1! I'll definitely check it out... the more I can learn now about the processes, the better I'll do when the time comes. I really appreciate it! :)

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. Jodi * Bend OR

Jodi * Bend OR Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Num, they look great, Shawnee_b! :) Really looking forward to producing my own pretty jars o' goodies! ;-) Happy gardening!

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    hi gardeners; i'm enjoying some success with my two raised beds this year. i've never canned/pickled, but i hope to this year. my onions have turned out great. i've got granex, red, & 1015y which are types good for this part of Texas.

i picked my first tomato today. it's beautiful. it's got a worm hole in it, but it's not too deep. we've been eating greenbeans for about a week now.
    i've never had any luck with tomatoes before. this time, they're are insane. the plants are huge & lush & packed with tomatoes. i have a hard time findng the sweet 100s because the plants (two of them) are so lush. i hope i don't run across a snake while i'm reaching for a tomato. i'm going to have to get a step ladder to reach the tops soon.

the squash is more plant than squash because they're planted close to the tomatoes & therefore getting more food than they need. the okra is up & the black eyed peas are just coming up.

i've got some japanese eggplant & one fruit is about ready. the cucumbers are lush, blooming like crazy & few female flowers. i don't know what's up with that.
    the peppers are doing so so. i think when it gets hotter, they will do better.
    i have had the best soil in these raised beds. i hope i can duplicate it for the third bed & keep it going after this season.

i've been more ornamental plant oriented in the past. i'm becoming more interested in self -suficiency so i want to grow food & learn how to preserve it.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So far in my garden is:

Swiss Chard
    Oregon Sugar Snap peas
    Strawberries
    Rhubarb
    Raspberries
    Grapes
    Blueberries
    Tomatoes
    Hot peppers
    Pepperoncini's
    Bell Peppers
    Several kinds of squash
    Cucumbers
    Pickling Cucumbers
    Watermelon
    2 different kinds of Cantaloupe
    Potatoes
    Garlic (almost ready to harvest)
    Basil
    Licorice Basil
    Parsley
    Cilantro
    Dill
    Chives

I have 13 different kinds of fruit trees and just started with bees last week.

Still yet to plant:
    Pumpkin
    Green beans
    Okra
    Corn

6. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Thank you. It's fun to preserve. I'm making a solar dryer this year, or plan to if I get time!

Salsa[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky

8. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Just got tomatoes in the ground today,
    they are Ace, Krim (dark or blackish)
    mixed heirloom, & better boy....
    Our last frost date is May 10 so not too far behind.
    Will plant:
    Okra
    Hubbard - Golden & Blue
    Pumpkin - Illumina, Jaradale, Big Max, Jack o'lantern
    Sunflower,
    & more if i can get them in there.

Thanks Shawnee, for the freezing tip with those toms!!!

9. ArcadianGrange

ArcadianGrange New Egg

May 15, 2012
    Albany County, NY
    I’m doing square foot gardening this year. I have a small strip (3x12) alongside my patio and it’s the only place in my yard that gets full sun. In the past, I planted some flowers with cukes, toms, basil, and chard as that’s all I had room for - according to the recommended spacing - and nothing ever really produced enough so that I could stop buying veg from the grocery store.

This year, I’m going (happily) berserk choosing all the veg I like! (I also added a 3x6 bed.)

I have:
    Tomatoes (Early Girl, Grandma Mary, and cherries), cukes, corn, wax beans, pole beans, runner beans, spinach, chard, mustard greens, beets, garlic, onions, shallots, scallions, carrots, radishes, broccoli, bell peppers, snap peas, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, basil, coriander, parsley, and dill. I’m also growing collards in pots.

Something’s gotta grow, right?

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    This year I'm growing tomatoes, hot peppers, green beans, lettuce and corn.
    Corn is new for me this year I've never grown it in my soil. Hoping it will do well in the iron ore tyoe dirt that I have on my place.
    The lettuce is new also, it is the leaf type lettuce.

Last edited: May 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by