What are your breeding plans for next year?

I admire all y'all's plans for specific breeding, this feature or that, this breed or that.... I'm nowhere near that league! My plans are to breed lots of chickens for the freezer. That's about it!

Oh, I will admit I'm kind of interested in the rose or pea combs, as they're less susceptible to frostbite - And I love the adorable fluffy cheeks and full neck feathers of those descended from my lone EE hen I had a year or so ago. Now that I mention it, I do see a lot of fluffy cheeks and pea combs wandering around my chicken run ...... she was a prolific little bird!

It has also caught my attention that it's harder to clean the skin of black feathered chickens, whereas those with other colors clean up easier. (Or at least they appear so.) Some of the black ones also have those large, beautiful, soft, dreamy black eyes of my Australorp hens. AND the black ones, I hear, are less likely to be picked off by hawks since they resemble crows, and hawks HATE crows. hmmmm.... it's rather a dilemma, I realize. I like how they're a bit safer from predators, but I don't like plucking black chickens.

There's one annoying genetic feature that's been popping up lately - the "clubbed down" chicks. I have several of different degrees this year. I understand it's from a cross of a RIR hen and BPR rooster, both breeds I started with several years ago. They're all pullets - they're thriving and healthy, they will supposedly lay as well as their mothers - but the clubbed down defect can be passed down to their chicks. Not sure I want that becoming prevalent in the flock. So I may just freeze those girls instead of keeping them as layers.

What can I say.... I'm a rookie, not a breeder --- and I like to eat chicken. :drool

I admire all y'all's plans for specific breeding, this feature or that, this breed or that.... I'm nowhere near that league! My plans are to breed lots of chickens for the freezer. That's about it! ................ What can I say.... I'm a rookie, not a breeder --- and I like to eat chicken. :drool
Oh, and to add to my post:
I do have a hatching schedule I followed this year. I hatched a batch of chicks every full moon 🌝 this spring from February through May. Very successfully, I might add! Though next year, I've learned that I'll need to either: Spread it out to 6 weeks between hatches, OR add another small coop and pen to what I have already. Each "tribe" is growing up back-to-back prior to processing, and I hadn't planned on needing to keep each tribe separate until the girls' integration date and the boys' butcher date.

At the moment, I have the Feb. birds already in the flock or freezer, the March boys will have a date with destiny in a few weeks and are enjoying their private coop and run, the April chicks are bursting at the seams in their little coop with NO run, and the May chicks are growing up hot on their heels with nowhere to go once they outgrow their itty bitty brooder coop.

I'm considering either taking the last two tribes to auction, or butchering early.

Next year, plans will be modified to make this easier.

My breeding plans for this year are:
1.hatch some Tsouloufati eggs and make selections for next year's breeding stock
2. Find a recognized breed by the European Association of Poultry that I'd like to work with and acquire some eggs/chicks/birds for breeding next year

Oh, I will admit I'm kind of interested in the rose or pea combs, as they're less susceptible to frostbite - And I love the adorable fluffy cheeks and full neck feathers of those descended from my lone EE hen I had a year or so ago. Now that I mention it, I do see a lot of fluffy cheeks and pea combs wandering around my chicken run ...... she was a prolific little bird!
I love it when you get some chickens and even after they're gone, their genes are still existiant in the flock.

I'm gonna have my leghorn polish mix rooster over hens that are either purebred or mixes of:
Austrolorp, easter egger, bielelder, sussex, leghorn, game, and polish. Also gonna breed pure bantam cochins and when I free range my bantam cochins and my standard sized flock together, sometimes my bantam cochin roo will mate the standard hens, so I will likely also get some bantam cochin genes in the standard flock.

well ended up hatching 3 asils, 3 brazillians, 4 blue crushers, 1 black crusher, and a ga plucker. i did raise some brown egg layers from ideal: wyandottes, dominiques, black australorps, rhode island reds, barred rocks, and orpingtons. will only keep 1 from each breed. next year will hatch a few cubalayas

Breeding's just getting started for me. Separated a few pens last week. I have to start off with a bunch of test breeding though. So one pen is testing my Sussex rooster for slate legs. And the other is testing my sussex pullets for reccessive yellow skin. Depending on the results of those tests I'd like to still be able to hatch some purebred sussex this year.
I also plan to make a start on my calico splash silkie project. Going to work on getting some showgirl silkies and potentially add them to the calico project.
I got the Barnevelders specifically to do a frizzle Barnevelder project but I don't know if I'll be starting that this year.

Back
Top Bottom