What Are Your Chickens Named After?

I just wondered what everybody else is naming their chickens after, such as favorite TV show characters, food items, etc. I named my first group of hens names that all end with the letter a, and my second group is named mostly after anime characters. Lol, show me your best names!

I've been naming chickens for years, so I have a lot!

Baby chick appearance: Caterpillar, Beetle, Eagle, Panda, Penguin, Goldy, Snowy, Phantom, Moth, Powder, Honey, Molasses

Adult appearance: Spot, Sky (blue), Bulgy (comb shape), Weisskopf (means white-head)

Same-letter theme: Panda, Penguin, Piper, Pocket, Pudding (notice that the second letters all differ--that was deliberate.)

Nuts: Hazel, Almond, Pecan, Pistachio, Peanut, Chestnut

Punctuation: Semicolon, Colon, Comma, Period

Spices/foods: Cinnamon, Cloves, Chipotle, Coffee, Pancake, Honey, Molasses, Snickerdoodle

Variant of breed name: Sally the Sultan, Connie the Ancona, Pancake the Buttercup

Specific traits: Biter, Scraggly, Maximus & Minimus (big & little), Toe (was missing a toe)

Within a theme, my names often have something to do with the appearance of the chicken (or sometimes the behavior or the breed name). That makes them easier to remember.

For example, a chicken who acted nutty became Hazel, then of course the one with green legs was Pistachio, the little bantam was Peanut, the red one was Chestnut, the light brown one was Almond, and the last one became Pecan just to fit the theme.

Last summer I raised some bantam cochins for a neighbor (blue and splash):
Moon, Mabel and Maeve

This Spring's Ladies are (were, sold some):
Winifred (as in Pooh) the Welsummer
Honey Rider (Bond Girl) EE
Leonora Carrington (Surrealist painter) the BCM
Babette the Barnevelder
Remedios & Varo (Surrealist painter) the Dominiques
Little Vera the EE

August chicks (all mottled Javas)
Miss Essie Davis (actress that plays Phryne Fisher)
Lavar Burton (actor, educator, book enthusiast)
Ursula LeGuin (Author)

Back
Top Bottom