What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
Hopefully, 100% cotton sheets.

One of my favorite use has been cutting and sewing them into pillowcase-like bags to put strings of Christmas lights into - one strand per bag. Very little additional wear to the fabric, very quick and easy to put the lights away, same for getting them out, adds some cushioning so the bulbs aren't scratched or banged, the wire doesn't tangle or kink.

I made similar bags for the lionel train cars. Also folded pieces of worn out sheet accordion style with a piece of track in each fold. This has all the advantages that the bags had for Christmas lights. It is lighter weight, less bulky, and more consistent than any of the several other methods I tried.

Sleeves for dishes if you have any in storage. I have a small set kept up in the kitchen and enough extra kept in the basement that I bring up when more than come. And some keepsake dishes that I don't have a place to display right now. My sister in law did a level better. She had the same dishes as her next door neighbor. They borrowed dishes from each other when either had a lot of company.

Patches for clothes, quilt batting, flags for the tops of stakes or tree branches for landscaping or gardening, dust covers (such as for stored furniture, out of season lawn equipment), drop sheets to catch saw dust or whatever, tablecloths (not usually good for aesthetics but good for under crafts or to protect a table from scratches when sorting dirty things or such), handkerchiefs.

repurposing signs: I made an envelope out of a plain colored sheet that slid down over the top of the sign the roofers left at the end of the yard. On the envelop, I made thick, black letters "SALE" when I had a yard sale. It worked much better than the poster board versions. It also hargs neatly on nails on the garage wall behind some of the shelves.

Dolls or doll clothes.

Rag carpets - cut into strips and braided, hooked, or sewn to a backing. This os the only one of these I haven't done myself. I have some other people made from similar fabric.

Ripped up strips make good tinder.

Scarecrows body or clothes. Flags tied to fence wire to show animals where the fence is.

In all cases, not every sheet is necessarily good for every use. Since most of the wear is on the middle of the sheet, sometimes the outside edge is better for a given thing. Sometimes the threadbare middle is.

Edit to fix typos
Some nice ideas thank you!
There are some fabric collection places but not nearly as common as in Europe.

nyone have any ideas for use for old sheets?

They are also good to cover plants for a frost warning overnight.
I harden my tender garden plants (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) off in dog crates. Safe from critters, gets sunlight, easy to check on, easy to water.

I use sheets to filter the sun on the first few days. They also protect from heavy wind and rain. And keep them warmer overnight.
IMG_0871.JPG

Clothespins hold them on very well.

The light colored ones are great for this purpose. I also have lots of brightly colored sheets that I can drape over as a second layer, or lay over the strawberry plants if we're going to get a frosty night.

I have one I use for gathering up leaves. I lay it flat on the ground and rake the leaves up in it. Then gather up the edges of the sheet to dump them in the chicken run, garden or compost pile.
I have a tarp I use for this purpose. I get BIG piles raked onto it, and they're often wet, so the load is pretty heavy. I have to drag it down to the garden. A sheet might last for a trip or two.

Oh, here's another use. I used to shoot competitively. I can shoot out in my field, so I spread out a king sized sheet to my right, and caught almost all the brass ejected. Some of the brass is reloadable, and any that isn't (.22 or too old) is recyclable.

Neither one is

Nether one is sustainable, the metals needed are finite. Fossil fuels are finite. I don't know what the answer is, but I couldn't do solar or battery until they can recycle, otherwise it's just more toxic trash at a higher pace then with combustion engine vehicles, etc.
And EVs are not only more expensive to buy, the cost of a replacement battery is more than a used car.

Some nice ideas thank you!
There are some fabric collection places but not nearly as common as in Europe.
Before we had these fabric and shoes collection places, there were volunteers who collected bags at your house on a certain date. The fee for the old clothes was for their club (like a soccer club or a playground for kids).

Now we can put the old clothes in containers who are open 24/7.

But if I think I can reuse the old clothes /parts of it myself, I keep them stored. I reused zippers , pockets, lace, printed fabrics…. to repair, add or make clothes, cushions, cuddle toys or bags.

Try tying tomato plants to their stakes. I have an old sheet that I plan to use to tie my squash to supports this year.
My mother used pieces of old panty stockings to tie things up.

When I bake pumpkin pies I always spill a little of the custard while placing the pies in the oven. For years I have covered a cooky sheet with foil and placed it underneath the pies to catch drips. However, the foil didn't always stay in position.

This year I thought I would try using parchment paper under the pies, but needed something to hold the paper in place, to prevent it from moving.

Voila!
IMG_20231225_144410189.jpg

Yes, metal paper clips work great!

I am keeping them in a magnetic dish attached to the stove's hood. They'll be on hand next time I make pumpkin pies.

Anyone have any ideas for use for old sheets?
I found this book yesterday. Twining seems to be a better option for rag rugs than braiding or weaving. The book says it is more durable and lays flatter.

I'd like to try this. It is like weaving (with or without a loom) but two weft strips are twisted between each warp strip and the next warp strip. The warp doesn't show except at the ends.

Attachments

• B7951831-F8C7-4FDD-9D4C-A57D212F265A.jpeg
    B7951831-F8C7-4FDD-9D4C-A57D212F265A.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom