What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
That's really sad. There's a hand condition often called "housewife hands" that's basically an allergic reaction in the skin of your hands to constant water and chemical exposure. Once it starts it never goes away completely. Women are also more prone to lung cancer regardless of smoking status because they're exposed to more inhaled chemicals. You'd think a good doctor would never say it's "in your head", but instead say "I don't know but let's keep trying to figure out"
They don't like to admit they don't know.

On the plus side due to allergies I have discovered a world of cleaning without chemicals. I use natural goat milk soap* for washing dishes, no more alligator hands. I also use similar soap for shampoo and shower. Toothpaste has formaldehyde, used to make my mouth burn, so now I use a tooth powder that makes my teeth feel as slick as if I just came from the dentist. And I use baking soda and vinegar (separate!) for cleaning the bathroom and kitchen.

(*brand is Goat Milk Stuff if anyone is interested)

I try to live sustainably and sometimes I do and sometimes I don't! What are some of your tips or things that you can't do?

Example of things I do:
- no purposefully bought single use plastics in the home. This has been made much easier by the new variety of plant-based baggies and saran wraps!
- no spray cleaners, I use bar soap, bar shampoo, and bar conditioner (no bottles as the US doesn't really recycle plastics anymore and the pacific garbage patch is growing)
- Of course using egg cartons from friends and not buying eggs :) Also trying to grow as much of my own food as possible.

Examples of things I don't do :oops::
- I still have my plastic toothbrush, floss, and toothpaste with fluoride.
- I am terrible about buying things from Amazon that comes with plastic bags.
- Chicken, dog, and rabbit food comes in plastic bags
- I still eat meat (but I grow some myself)
- I buy makeups, clothes, dog toys, and household items that aren't sustainable

What about you?
Switch your toothbrush to the bamboo one. They are amazing and made of, yup, bamboo! Bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants on the planet. And they are biodegradable, unlike plastic. ❤️

I try to live sustainably and sometimes I do and sometimes I don't! What are some of your tips or things that you can't do?

Example of things I do:
- no purposefully bought single use plastics in the home. This has been made much easier by the new variety of plant-based baggies and saran wraps!
- no spray cleaners, I use bar soap, bar shampoo, and bar conditioner (no bottles as the US doesn't really recycle plastics anymore and the pacific garbage patch is growing)
- Of course using egg cartons from friends and not buying eggs :) Also trying to grow as much of my own food as possible.

Examples of things I don't do :oops::
- I still have my plastic toothbrush, floss, and toothpaste with fluoride.
- I am terrible about buying things from Amazon that comes with plastic bags.
- Chicken, dog, and rabbit food comes in plastic bags
- I still eat meat (but I grow some myself)
- I buy makeups, clothes, dog toys, and household items that aren't sustainable

What about you?
Also, the soft plastics can be recycled at your local Walmart. They should have a bin near one of the entrances where you can drop all soft plastics. You can also ask an associate if you have any trouble locating the bin. 😊

Switch your toothbrush to the bamboo one. They are amazing and made of, yup, bamboo! Bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants on the planet. And they are biodegradable, unlike plastic. ❤️
I wish I could! I have to use an electric one and special toothpaste for my specific dental health. I would like to know specifically what Walmart is doing with the plastics. So much that is “recycled” is just thrown out. I wonder if they publish their exact recycling programs.

I wish I could! I have to use an electric one and special toothpaste for my specific dental health. I would like to know specifically what Walmart is doing with the plastics. So much that is “recycled” is just thrown out. I wonder if they publish their exact recycling programs.
I am a now former employee of Walmart. I had concerns about what they were doing with it, too. They recycle the plastics and use it to make their own plastics in their Great Value brand, and use it to make the associates' vests/polos. They also get discounted vendor prices for supplying plastics to brands like No Boundaries, that make their clothing with recycled plastics.

I am a now former employee of Walmart. I had concerns about what they were doing with it, too. They recycle the plastics and use it to make their own plastics in their Great Value brand, and use it to make the associates' vests/polos. They also get discounted vendor prices for supplying plastics to brands like No Boundaries, that make their clothing with recycled plastics.
Cool!

Women are also more prone to lung cancer regardless of smoking status because they're exposed to more inhaled chemicals.

Not to be funny, but years ago I had to attend a mandatory hazardous waste seminar for landlords. The big issue at the time was lead free paint and asbestosis protocols. They also talked about other hazardous chemicals. Someone in the seminar mentioned that his wife had more hazardous chemicals in her bathroom vanities than what we were worried about. The instructor made some comment like that was true, but those are not controlled like the stuff we had to worry about as landlords.

Anyways, to show you how ridiculous everything was, the question was asked who was going to police these hazardous waste protocols and the answer there was no one who would enforce the requirements. Even if you were worried about having lead paint in your old house, there was absolutely no one who could even inspect your property. Well, I signed off as attending the workshop and fulfilled the requirement for the state, but I left there knowing that everything was a big joke.

I do agree with you that women are typically exposed to more chemicals than men, but I would suggest that it's mainly all those chemical beauty products women voluntary use.

Well water. We use it for cooking, tea, and such, and everything outside including water for the chickens. I just want to drink quite a bit of plain water too.

I grew up drinking well water and now I live on a lake and have well water for the house. I prefer the taste of unfiltered well water over city water with chlorine or even water that runs through a water softener. But maybe that is just because it is what I grew up with well water.

No doubt I can tell the taste difference between waters. Since water is so important to our good health, I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom