What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
I have had the same snow boots for 30 years and they are still in style. And, if not, I don't care. It's great to be a guy in that respect.
Where, oh where! did you find snow boots that lasted for 30 years? And I know you have snow, so these must get used a lot.

I don't care what my shoes look like as long as they fit and don't hurt my (rather particular) feet.

I don't care much what my clothes look like, either. I buy a lot of mens pants and shirts because they're made better, so they last longer. And they have GOOD pockets! Not little foofy, fit-two-fingers things with excess buttons or zippers or snaps.

(I have a pair of pants from Goodwill that has a pocket that has two pockets sewn on top of it. One has a zipper sewn up the side that opens to... nothing! It's a "design element," or some such useless thing! Why do I have these pants? Goodwill. $4.99. The only reason.)

Goodwill. Salvation Army. Mission Thrift. My favorite places to shop for clothes.

Where, oh where! did you find snow boots that lasted for 30 years? And I know you have snow, so these must get used a lot.

I don't care what my shoes look like as long as they fit and don't hurt my (rather particular) feet.

I don't care much what my clothes look like, either. I buy a lot of mens pants and shirts because they're made better, so they last longer. And they have GOOD pockets! Not little foofy, fit-two-fingers things with excess buttons or zippers or snaps.

(I have a pair of pants from Goodwill that has a pocket that has two pockets sewn on top of it. One has a zipper sewn up the side that opens to... nothing! It's a "design element," or some such useless thing! Why do I have these pants? Goodwill. $4.99. The only reason.)

Goodwill. Salvation Army. Mission Thrift. My favorite places to shop for clothes.
It’s like women’s clothes have the look but none of the functionality. And when I can find something that does the job it’s often in pink. Pink has a place in my life, but not my tools or my work clothes thanks.

It’s like women’s clothes have the look but none of the functionality. And when I can find something that does the job it’s often in pink. Pink has a place in my life, but not my tools or my work clothes thanks.
I tried on a pair of women's cargo pants. (I love cargos; all those pockets!) They fit... pretty well, but had this dopey tie thing at the waist. And the INSANELY STUPID tiny pockets! Literally, I could fit in two fingers! What's the point?!?!
:barnie

I hear ya on the pink, too. :lau

I tried on a pair of women's cargo pants. (I love cargos; all those pockets!) They fit... pretty well, but had this dopey tie thing at the waist. And the INSANELY STUPID tiny pockets! Literally, I could fit in two fingers! What's the point?!?!
:barnie

I hear ya on the pink, too. :lau
I like skirts, the full sweep and below the knees type, they're so comfortable. I don't wear pants anymore except when we get unusually cold weather, then leggings or sweatpants are acceptable.

On the topic of useless designs, I refuse to wear skirts (or sweatpants) that don't have in-seam pockets. And patch pockets are useless. I want to be able to carry a few items with me, like a wallet and phone, without having to keep track of a purse. I found some skirts with pockets online, the local stores don't carry anything for full-figured older women.

I like skirts, the full sweep and below the knees type, they're so comfortable. I don't wear pants anymore except when we get unusually cold weather, then leggings or sweatpants are acceptable.

On the topic of useless designs, I refuse to wear skirts (or sweatpants) that don't have in-seam pockets. And patch pockets are useless. I want to be able to carry a few items with me, like a wallet and phone, without having to keep track of a purse. I found some skirts with pockets online, the local stores don't carry anything for full-figured older women.
I like the in seam pockets too, but wear dresses instead. Usually no longer than the knee though, it’s too hot otherwise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Shoe Goo is made to rebuild the rubber sole if a piece falls off or if a chunk of rubber sole gets gouged out. From what i understand, Shoe Goo is used to basically retread the rubber sole.

In my case, the rubber sole was separating from the cloth top. That is where you would use the contact cement. I don't think Shoe Goo would work to reattach the rubber sole to the cloth top of the shoe.

In any case, if you can repair a shoe, that's a pretty good deal compared to having to buy a new pair of shoes. Even better, wearing rubber shoes in the morning so you don't get your good tennis shoes wet is even better. Ditto for using old shoes that are dispensable when they wear out or fall apart.

FWIW, Dear Wife has a closet full of shoes, boots, sandals, etc.... That's probably not a frugal way to live, but I don't dare to mention it! :smack

:yesss: I have had the same snow boots for 30 years and they are still in style. And, if not, I don't care. It's great to be a guy in that respect.
My Dad used it as an adhesive to reattach the sole to the upper. It worked.
Although Shoe Goo can be used on rubber, wood, glass, concrete and metal, it is most commonly used as a pliable adhesive for separated shoe components, as a filler on worn shoe soles, and as a sealer to repair waterproof fabrics and footwear. - Wikipedia

My snow boots are currently stored away for the summer, but I found a Google picture of a pair almost exactly like what I have...

1690729359611.png

:old We do get a lot of snow here in northern Minnesota, but mainly I only use my snow boots now when I take out the snow blower to clean out the driveway. So, they don't get used all that much. Well, also a few times per day in the winter when I check on the chickens in the backyard. That amounts only to minutes per day. It's not like I'm running around town wearing them all day. My 30+ year old boots look like new.

BTW, I got them on clearance AFTER winter for less than half price. If you can buy clothing out of season, you can get some great deals.

I have never seen these types of boots at our local thrift store. I'm sure they would be out the door as soon as they got put on the shelf. Boots don't last long at our thrift store.

But the local charity church thrift store is where I buy my working blue jeans for $1.50 to $2.50 per pair. They went up in price after the COVID-19 period, but still it's a good deal for me. I blew out one of my favorite pair of thrift store working jeans this spring, but I had worn it for about 5 years. I think I got my ~$2.00 worth.

@fuzzi said: My Dad used it as an adhesive to reattach the sole to the upper. It worked.
Although Shoe Goo can be used on rubber, wood, glass, concrete and metal, it is most commonly used as a pliable adhesive for separated shoe components, as a filler on worn shoe soles, and as a sealer to repair waterproof fabrics and footwear. - Wikipedia

That's good to know. When I read the read the instructions on the Shoe Goo, it seemed like it was only used as a filler. I'll have to check it out again if/when I come across it. For now, I still have half a can of contact cement to use up first. Thanks.

I feel like there should be a protest movement around pockets in women’s pants.
I was wearing Lands End pull on pants for work. They are nice enough to look like office wear but don’t require any more effort than PJ’s.
I got a new pair and they had done away with all pockets except one for a credit card. Whaaaa??!
They just launched a new version which they call ‘utility pants’. Sounds like a clear admission that the others are no use at all!!

Back
Top Bottom