What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
It is much less expensive to use boxes from the grocery store instead of buying boxes. The main downsides are they tend to be so much less sturdy (than the heavy-duty moving boxes), they aren't necessarily available when wanted, and soooo mmmmaaaannnnyyyy sizes.

I recently found a solution to the number of sizes. The boxes have numbers printed on them that id the box size even when the original contents were different. Nice big or big enough numbers, always in the same place on the box.

Cheese boxes
5134383 is the right size for single sheets of paper - also works well for many things such as cookie cutters, furniture sliders/felt pads, owners manuals.

10067 is wide enough for most of the single sheets of paper with a binding (like many knitting, quilting, and woodworking books). It is a bit too long but the best fit available. Being a bit too long allows for the misc things that are too long for 5134383.

Oreo boxes
03202 works for dvds
05372 is the best compromise for a common paperback size (the bit bigger kind)
02854 is the same height and width as 05372 but a tad longer - both are just short of tall enough for the most common size of hardcover. I will probably use one or the other once I have enough of either.

The above are all small enough to be sturdy enough as they are.
The cheese boxes are the most available boxes in the grocery store - a combination of how many are available and how consistently the stockers get to them (every day between 8 and 9 at the store I usually go to).

It is soooooo nice to have just two (or even the three) sizes for the vast majority of things that fit about that size. When I was going by the content descriptions, I ended up with 10 or 12 almost-the-same-sizes of cheese box and about the same of oreo boxes.

Added benefit, having more order is helping with giving away or selling more of the things we don't have a good use for anymore. Lol, or in some cases never had a good use for - buying used things has a downside of sometimes the one piece you want is offered as a part of a group of things you either already have or simple don't want. In some places, I can take the piece I want out and put the rest in the donations bin but not estate sales or such.

⚠️ Almost got scammed by online website recommended by Honey on Amazon

Perhaps you use those shopping apps that look at your online cart, then go out to see if they can find a better deal at some other website. I have been using the Honey app for a couple of years and sometimes they recommend a different website that sells the product I want at a savings. In the past, that has worked well for me a couple of times.

But tonight, I was checking out the current price of the Rockwell JawHorse clamping workstation...

1703323808255.png

:drool As you can see, Amazon is selling it for $249.00. However, the Honey app flashed up a website that had a "Clearance Sale" on the JawHorse for $59.00. Heck, I want to buy the JawHorse for $59.00 so I click the link to go their website....

:caf Long story short, it was a scam website. First obvious clue was the "Clearance Price" and then a countdown timer with the sale ending in less than 1 hour, followed by no physical address for the company, no customer support telephone numbers, and only a fake email address to contact them. It was the fake email address that gave them away because I entered it into a Google search and it immediately flagged it as a fake email address used by scam websites.

:tongue In the past, I have saved some money by using the Honey app to check my online carts and checking their recommendations. I considered Honey to be a legitimate company. But now I am not so sure how good they are if a scam online website is recommended by them.

I won't bother telling you what the address of the scam website was, because typically they close up shop in a few weeks and reopen under new names elsewhere. Just be careful when ordering online, and I guess don't trust those shopping apps that are supposed to help you find better deals, either. As always, if the deal looks too good to be true, it's probably a scam.

This thread is new to me. I thought it was interesting to read some tips to and follow discussions about how live more sustainable. Read a few post from the start and skipped to the end.

Gtaus, I know you love to buy bargains and often have good tips but I miss the sustainability choices in your latest posts.

I do a lot of things to live sustainable. And contribute to a lot to pollution as well.
To keep it short I just give randomly 5 + and 5 - that popped up right now:
+ buy organic chicken feed in paper bags
+ use no poisons in my garden
+ eat rarely a little organic meat
+ have more solar panels than we use electricity
+ ride an electric car charged with daylight if possible

- buy food in plastic (but refuse to buy cucumber in plastic)
- go on a vacation with a plane a year ago and will do that again in April.
- buy clothes that are made at the other side of the world (if possible made from natural fibers like linnen or organic cotton)
- eat food that comes from other continents (shipping is polluting)

We recycle or reuse what we can and burn the rest. I know, bad for the ozone layer probably, but at least none of our waste goes into a landfill
For CO2 greenhouse gasses, it better to dump the garbage and paper in a landfill. If you burn paper you release the CO2 that was in the tree, and now in the paper immediately. In a landfill it can take decades to compost.

In my country a lot of the garbage is reused. And they burn the garbage that is not reusable in plants that produce energy and filter the gasses to diminish air pollution. The EU and our country made laws to recycle. The municipality collects the garbage.

How the recycling is done

We have 4 separate containers for:
- Paper and cartons, the paper and cartons goes to factories where they add new paper fibers to make new products. This works great.

- Plastic, metals and drink cartons with plastic coating. These 3 types of waste are separated in the re-use material factory.
Reusing plastic that is collected this way, is expensive to reuse. They do make inferior plastics from it for outdoor benches, poles and such. But the recycling process is improving and now the do reuse better. They make new golf balls, tubes and many other products from it nowadays.
The metals are reused better, but it takes a lot of energy to reuse.
The paper and plastic in the drink cartons are separated to make toiletpaper and plastic is used for products as buckets.

- Green waste
Left overs from food and wast from gardening is collected to make compost in a plant/factory. The only problem is that not all plastics that end up in this green wast can be filtered out. The compost is polluted with plastic particles.

Grey waste’
The 4th container is for everything that is not separable within the household. Its passes a metal check. This waste gets burned as fuel.

Refund system
At the grocery shops we pay a fee for deposit glass and plastic bottles, and cans for drinks. If we bring them back we get our money back.

recycle units (small recycle stations)
Many drinks /liquids are not in a refund system. You collect these, and other things like old clothes, shoes and batteries too.
In every suburb and at the grocery shops we have recycle units for:
- glass (white, green, brown)
- clothes and shoes
- batteries

Other waste , large recycle station
All toxic waste, large waste products and broken down electric tools have to be brought to the recycle ♻️ area of the municipality. Or the municipality can come to collect it.

I did not read all the way through, but I just took a class to make soap out of rendered lard! So I’ve been rendering lard for a few weekends now, and the dogs get the benefit of any leftover rinds. Feels good to use something that is normally considered waste.

Long story short, it was a scam website. First obvious clue was the "Clearance Price" and then a countdown timer with the sale ending in less than 1 hour, followed by no physical address for the company, no customer support telephone numbers, and only a fake email address to contact them. It was the fake email address that gave them away because I entered it into a Google search and it immediately flagged it as a fake email address used by scam websites.
I didn't know about checking the email. Now I do. Thank you for this information.

Gtaus, I know you love to buy bargains and often have good tips but I miss the sustainability choices in your latest posts.

I guess that's fair. I considered my latest tips more on the "frugal side" of this thread. I share what I hope will be helpful, and most of what I do is more on the frugal side of the equation. I hope others who are more interested or better versed in the sustainable tips will step up with their ideas. You can bet I read all those posts.

This thread is new to me. I thought it was interesting to read some tips to and follow discussions about how live more sustainable. Read a few post from the start and skipped to the end.

I do a lot of things to live sustainable. And contribute to a lot to pollution as well.
To keep it short I just give randomly 5 + and 5 - that popped up right now:
+ buy organic chicken feed in paper bags
+ use no poisons in my garden
+ eat rarely a little organic meat
+ have more solar panels than we use electricity
+ ride an electric car charged with daylight if possible

- buy food in plastic (but refuse to buy cucumber in plastic)
- go on a vacation with a plane a year ago and will do that again in April.
- buy clothes that are made at the other side of the world (if possible made from natural fibers like linnen or organic cotton)
- eat food that comes from other continents (shipping is polluting)
I, too, use no poisons in my gardens. I did resort to chemical and biological warfare against fire ants this year after being attacked in my own bedroom. I was already being attacked in my yard.

I reuse plastic bags when I cannot find paper alternatives.

About electric cars, there's a bit of evidence indicating they're not as green as often promoted: https://hir.harvard.edu/not-so-green-technology-the-complicated-legacy-of-rare-earth-mining/

Good for you recharging it with solar! Most people don't seem to understand that charging stations are powered by fuel, as in diesel, coal, etc.

And I would invest in solar panels if the cost of installing them would be less in the long term than continuing to be hooked up to the local electrical grid. Storms with hail and wind are common here, and damage solar panels before their useful lifespan has been reached.

For CO2 greenhouse gasses, it better to dump the garbage and paper in a landfill.

Even better, if you have a backyard flock of chickens, you can feed them almost all your kitchen scraps and leftovers. Years ago, we used to toss all that stuff into garbage bags for the landfill. Maybe 2-3 bags per week. But now almost all our kitchen scraps and leftovers get fed to the chickens reducing greatly the amount of wet garbage going into trash bags, and then the landfill.

I have a pallet wood compost bin for the few things that I don't want to feed to the chickens. It rarely gets used.

Cardboard and paper products are really bulky and fill up trash bags fast. I shred almost all of our paper and cardboard boxes and uses those shreds in the chicken coop as deep bedding litter, which later gets tossed into the chicken run composting system to make black gold compost. That's a much better use of all that paper products than sending them to the landfill (I doubt much of our paper products are actually recycled).

:old If you are of a certain age, or have diminished strength in your hands, you can use something like power cutters to easily cut that heavy cardboard into narrow strips, allowing you to feed them down a home paper shredder, and therefore use it at home as paper shreds litter for the chickens. I got my power cutter from Harbor Freight, but there are lots of options of these power cutters sold by other brands....

1703354989860.png

Since I bought my power cutters, I don't think I have sent one heavy cardboard packing box to the recycle/landfill center.

I have not found good second uses for lots of our plastic, glass and metal containers. Most of them get sent to the recycle bin.

All in all, we went from 2-3 bags of garbage per week to less than 1 bag of garbage per month sent to the landfill. I think that's pretty good progress.

If you burn paper you release the CO2 that was in the tree,

I don't know how much CO2 is released into the air from burning a kitchen bag of waste, but the last 3 months I started burning our kitchen garbage in my backyard fire pit. We just take out anything that is not burnable from the kitchen waste. Anyways, for the past 3 months, I have not even had to haul that 1 bag of garbage to the landfill every month.

🤔 I wonder if the CO2 I release from burning the 1 bag of trash in my backyard fire pit is off set by the amount of fumes my old pickup would put into the air driving the garbage 40 miles round trip to our landfill/recycle center?

Anyways, I have not gone to the landfill in the past 3 months since I started burning my one bag of garbage per month in our backyard. Open fires in a backyard fire ring are permitted here, so I am not breaking any laws or regulations.

Back
Top Bottom