What are your pigeons for?

My Lahore, he's a bit skittish. Would love to have a tamer one, but he's gentle. I have rescued others in the past, but my condo has restrictions on number of pets. He stays on patio in a large 36 x 48 large cage. I use walnut bird litter so poos easy to scoop. Try hand feeding with shelled Peanuts or shelled sunflower hearts as a treat. Works for me.

Last edited:
Some birds may never hand feed you may have to accept that. By the same token I have had pigeons I never thought would hand feed eventually did. It is a slow process.

Pigeons become afraid of your hands because they do not like to be picked up. Sometimes reaching into your cage dropping one peanut and retreating back to a none threatening position until he eats that peanut is the way to start. Then slowly day after day keep trying to shorten that distance. I find things accelerate if you have more than one bird (greed comes into play) also if you have a squab you hand fed.

At one time my homers would swarm me when I entered the coop (I had close to 40 birds). Now after a disasters raccoon attack I am down to only 6 adult birds. I only have one bird now that will feed from my hand. Patience is the key and a treat that they love (do not include this treat in their regular diet) .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom