What are your pigeons for?

nayeli

Songster
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Why did you get pigeons and what is their purpose in your household? I am debating getting them and I'm curious if anyone on here got them for a reason other than as a pet.

Hi-
My pigeons are for raising squabs to eat. I have 2 pair of utility Kings. Kings are one of the largest pigeons that have been bred for meat production. Squabs are harvested at 25-28 days and can be roasted or grilled. They are considered a delicacy in finer restaurants and an expensive meal. Let me know if you want more info. Jon in Tennessee

All my birds should be snow white in a perfect world according to their parents. It is not a perfect world as shown by some of my offspring.

That one blue bar was a feral who trapped in with my flock. He was lost in a training toss.

If you keep breeding the all white ones then eventually you can pretty much breed the recessive color variation out. =)

Hi-
My pigeons are for raising squabs to eat. I have 2 pair of utility Kings. Kings are one of the largest pigeons that have been bred for meat production. Squabs are harvested at 25-28 days and can be roasted or grilled. They are considered a delicacy in finer restaurants and an expensive meal. Let me know if you want more info. Jon in Tennessee
I would like more information. I'm considering getting pigeons mostly for hatching quail eggs although I wouldn't mind trying their eggs and young pigeon. They are beautiful creatures too but we have pets so now we are interested in animals that have other purposes. We plan on raising humanely and treating them well and dispatching them humanely but any new animals to our house have to have a purpose other than as a pet.

I got them because I wanted a new pet and something to bring in a little *cha-ching*. They would be great to use for brooding quail eggs. Why can't you just have MORE pets? My pigeons double as pets and a very fun hobby! I would not recommend eating pigeon eggs as the whites never turn white and they look like gelatinous blobs with a yolk! Just keep in mind that they multiply very quickly and lay eggs when they still have babies in he nest!

I would definitely recommend them!

I could... but pets are expensive. I would prefer new animals bring something to the household... Have you tried pigeon eggs? If they are gross to me, I'm sure my dogs would still like them or I could sell to someone with a snake =)

I plan to let them hatch some but since they would also be hatching quail eggs... I see a surplus happening quickly =)

Back
Top Bottom