• Increase Chicken Treats

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Increase Chicken Treats

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Purchase/add more Chicken Toys

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Get More Chicks/Chickens

Votes: 52 50.0%
  • Add other poultry in addition to chickens (ducks, turkey etc.)

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Reduce Feed Costs

• Add a New Breed/s To My Flock

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Reduce Flock Number

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Nothing, will keep things as is

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

• Total voters
DH bought me a custom built coop for the backyard for the holidays! It will fit 6, so I’m restraining myself with 5. 😂
I plan to paint it, add some more ventilation, widen/move the roost bar, and put linoleum on the floor. I have no chickens for the yard yet so I have a few months to get it ready. DH will construct the run.

Also adding chicks! 12-15 for the farm and 5 for the yard, (ordering 15, hatching 6). My aunt had a converted shed coop at her daughters property so we need to get it moved to where the chickens are for this next group. In theory, we will house the 2 farm groups separately and let them free range together, unless there’s huge problems with getting along!

Finally, I am going to try to set up a slow compost system in the backyard chicken run. I’ve read lots of articles on here with tips on how to do it, so hope to reduce waste and get some good compost for the garden and bugs for the chickens all at the same time!

:frow

We dont have any issues losing birds to predators due to our multi bird alarm and deterrent system (ie: large gaggle of geese, guard turkey, and guinea alert system). Since that works well for our free range set up, we plan on adding Emu to our mixed flock for many reasons, addl predator deterrent (dogs, coyote, etc) and as pets because we love their personalities :wee we also plan on selling their eggs when they start laying. We want to add ducks (muscovies) into our pond, too. And to utilize as broodies for other poultry (chicken, goose, etc??) We want to invest in new technology for pastured turkeys this late summer, so premier 1 electric fence here we come! I also need another GQF incubator :celebrate ahh the plans the plans :clap:ya

cheers,
M:bun

I need to make modifications and additions to the coop and coop area. I need to make a gravel path and add dig some better drainage; the coop and run don't get too bad but the area I walk on to get there is a slippy mess sometimes. I also need to build a better small fence and gate around the run walk-in doors where right now I've just got a few panels of plastic play pen. I also need to up my automation game once things thaw. I have done one step with an auto-door on the coop but need to get an outdoor outlet put in on my house for the rest.

I might get a rooster in the spring. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom