1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are your special "rituals" when you process chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Avalon1984, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I was just wondering what y’alls rituals are when you process chickens? Do you do anything special? Do you say anything special? Do you feed the chicken something special or give it a shot of Burbon?

We usually have a shot of Jaeger ourselves before the killing to honor the chicken. Then we have a shot before I gut so that my nose doesn’t smell all the funny stuff. Just kind of our ritual. I know my dad in Germany used to have a drink with everybody after they killed a pig and before the real “dirty work” began [​IMG]

Looking forward to hearing what you all do!

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I like the shot idea, a shot of bourbon for my bourbon reds sounds great. two shots for each bird sounds better. [​IMG]

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I can't say that we regularly do anything special. It's just a matter of getting the chores done. This year after we got our large layer barn emptied out, cleaned up, birds butchered and a lot of the most laborious fall chores out of the way, we had a big fireworks show in the backyard. They were the biggest, noisiest aerial shells we could find. They were probably heard over in the next county.

4. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I would say that after doing 120 birds that is well deserved! [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't have one, but my mom will open the front and back door, say lucky words, thank the birds, and sweep any bad spirits through the house via open doors.

6. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Is that for bad spirits in your chickens or overall? Kind of interesting ritual, reminds me of my grand ma.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think it is something associated with "bad" spirits of death itself that might come during the process of butchering the chickens. One of those rituals that gets lost in "the younger generation".

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, well, I talk to them before butchering them. I usually say my thanks, my apologies for the scare, my calming words to keep 'em from being stressed out, that sort of thing. Most importantly is saying thanks, and making sure the bird isn't flapping, crying out, or the likes.

9. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I thank them, tell them I am sorry, but that we will make it quick and painless. I kiss them on the head, and hug them. Since we do 50-75 per day, I can't take the time to do that to all of them, but I always do one of the first, and the very last.

After it's done, we take a long, hot shower, and order pizza and beer and relax the rest of the day. We don't eat chicken on chicken processing day!!

10. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I love all of your rituals. They show so much care [​IMG] Thanks for sharing. Yesterday I was singing to the 2 roosters my favorite German chicken song:

“I wish I was a chicken,
    I wouldn’t have much to do,
    I’d lay an egg every day,
    And on Sunday I’d lay two”

That kind of didn’t apply to them but they got all relaxed about it.

We only process a few here and there so I have more time for creativity [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by