What attacked my roo

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
I have a roo in a pen all by himself because he doesn't get along with the other chickens. His face is really bloody and there's blood all over the chicken wire and his feeder is on the other side of the pen. His pen is right next to a tree line (might not have been the best idea, but it was the only available place). We built it on to the hurricane fence that goes around that section of the yard. There's a big hole under the hurricane fence and feathers all over the tree line. I think my dog saved him last night. She kept nudging my dad trying to get him up. He let her out and she disappeared. I think she chased off whatever was in the pen and thankfully the roo is OK, he just has a bloody face. What do you think attacked him? What should we do to fix up the pen and make it more animal proof?

We need to know where you're located, if you're in town or out of town, preferably pictures of the fencing and the bird
I'm in Nebraska, out in the country. This is the hole
20211024_094447.jpg

This is the roo
20211024_094418.jpg

20211024_094409.jpg

This is some of the blood on the chicken wire, but it's everywhere
20211024_094355.jpg

Here's the pen (and the dog). It's about 30 sq ft
20211024_094330.jpg

Are you sure he wasn't doing anything that got him stuck himself? I've had boys think they're clever and get into trouble like that.

I don't see anything like claw or teeth marks, and combs will bleed a lot even from small scratches.

For now, I'd block off any holes like the one on the ground with something that either can't be moved or you'll know was moved if it is

Are you sure he wasn't doing anything that got him stuck himself? I've had boys think they're clever and get into trouble like that.

I don't see anything like claw or teeth marks, and combs will bleed a lot even from small scratches.

For now, I'd block off any holes like the one on the ground with something that either can't be moved or you'll know was moved if it is
At first I thought he had gotten stuck. There's feathers all over in the trees though. The dog also tried to wake everybody up so she could go outside and she disappeared. She never does that. The hole wasn't there before either

At first I thought he had gotten stuck. There's feathers all over in the trees though. The dog also tried to wake everybody up so she could go outside and she disappeared. She never does that. The hole wasn't there before either
Hmmm. I would think maybe a coyote then? Or a fox? Raccoons will grab and pull and twist. Can't think of anything else

Hmmm. I would think maybe a coyote then? Or a fox? Raccoons will grab and pull and twist. Can't think of anything else
We've seen both of those. We put bricks in the hole and set a live trap. Will cat food catch a coyote or fox? Could it have been a possum

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom