What breed and gender? Australorp?

ColoradoPeeps

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Grovetown, GA
So the person we got this one from said it was an EE, then said she may have given us a Blue or Black Copper Marans. Some feedback from a previous post has us thinking it's an Australorp but we really don't know for sure. Beautiful colors on the black feathers when the sun hits it...green, purple, and blue. It's about 7 1/2 weeks. The comb and waddles have us worried it may be a roo but it sure acts like a pullet. Please let us know what you think!

With that comb/wattle at seven weeks would vote roo. Am not seeing any face feathering so X2 probably not an EE, or any feathers on the feet (not all Marans have them though) which seem pink/white on bottom? so X2 could be an Australorp.

...can you get a nice, up close shot of that comb? It doesn't quite look like a single comb...and EEs are mutts, so they don't always have muffs or complete pea combs...the comb and wattles do look awful red for such a youngster, but I have been surprised by babies before, so I am always hesitant to give a gender answer till later on. Also, can we have a shot of the bottoms of its feet? that is the easiest way to tell australorp (from jersey giant, anyway).

...can you get a nice, up close shot of that comb? It doesn't quite look like a single comb...and EEs are mutts, so they don't always have muffs or complete pea combs...the comb and wattles do look awful red for such a youngster, but I have been surprised by babies before, so I am always hesitant to give a gender answer till later on. Also, can we have a shot of the bottoms of its feet? that is the easiest way to tell australorp (from jersey giant, anyway).

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here are the comb and foot pics as requested...

Back
Top Bottom