What breed are my hens?

Lilly Ross

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2018
So I got these girls a few weeks ago and they are very much fitting in. But I don't know what breeds they are and I prefer to stay informed about my hens. The darker one just laid an egg and has yet to leave the nest like my other two regular layers. Is this due to her breed?

Attachments

• 20180214_102707.jpg
    20180214_102707.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180214_102821.jpg
    20180214_102821.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 8
They appear to be red sex links of some sort. Some hens will just 'hang out' in the nest for a bit after laying.
Thank you for the input, my clover (the redder one) just laid today for the first time of my knowledge since I just moved her and her sister into the new coop with my barred rock and Easter egger. I was worried she may be a broody girl. But thank you! You really think they're both red sex links? Cuz baby girl berry (the light one) is so light in comparison but they have the same feather patterns and berry seems significantly younger than her sister. Could they be hybrids?

Thank you for the input, my clover (the redder one) just laid today for the first time of my knowledge since I just moved her and her sister into the new coop with my barred rock and Easter egger. I was worried she may be a broody girl. But thank you! You really think they're both red sex links? Cuz baby girl berry (the light one) is so light in comparison but they have the same feather patterns and berry seems significantly younger than her sister. Could they be hybrids?
:D
Yes, I think they are both Red (or possibly golden/amber) Sex Links. The thing about that breed is, it is a hybrid...bred for laying lots and lots of eggs, and on minimal food, too, I believe. So, anyways, being a hybrid means it won't really breed true, so the color shading can vary greatly. :)

Back
Top Bottom