what breed are my pullets? silkie gender?

LaGeniaLoca

Songster
Apr 4, 2011
Yorba Linda, CA
I have 3 pullets, approximately 3 months old. They are very small, and fit in my hand. Can anybody tell me what breed they are or if they are a mix? They normally carry their tail feathers up higher, they were just scared when I took the pics.

85245_100_0878.jpg

85245_100_0870.jpg

85245_100_0875.jpg

Also, now that my black silkie is a little older (s/he's 4 months old now), can you tell if it's cockerel or pullet?

85245_100_0902.jpg

85245_100_0901.jpg

Sexing young Silkies is like sexing 3 week old rabbits... Nearly impossible and they change sex on you at the most inopportune time. :-D I love that your one bird is sitting on the ARBA SOP. The white chick looks like it has 5 toes??? No feathering on the legs but the build doesn't quite look right for a Dorking but it could be a Dorking cross. The second one, I have no idea on but it reminds me of a pigeon for some reason. The third one looks like it might be an Old English Game or OEG cross. Given the lack of comb and wattle development, I would guess the Silkie is a pullet.

So, completely off subject.... What breeds of rabbits and cavies do you raise? I'm doing a happy dance right now because my Tan doe is building her nest...
wee.gif
bun.gif

Quote:
In rabbits, we raise Mini Rex, Netherland Dwarf, and Lionhead. Currently have a litter of Mini Rex that was born 5-21. Only had 2, but they are a broken castor buck and a blue otter buck. Also have a Lionhead litter of 3 that was born on 6-10. Too early to sex, but there's one black and 2 chestnut. We also have a Mini Lop and a Dutch, but they are just pets.

In cavies, we have American, American Satin, Coronet, Peruvian, Peruvian Satin, Silkie, Silkie Satin, Skinny, Teddy and Texel. My texel is now retired, but I'll be adding more sometime in the future. In all the other breeds, we have at least one pair in breeding at any given time. Most of our pigs are brokens, but we do have a silver agouti and 2 lemon agouti Americans at the moment. You can see all of them on our website www.charactercavies.webs.com, although since the numbers change so often, I may not have everyone listed on the breeds pages.
tongue.png

I guess chickens aren't the only animal that's addicting!
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom