What breed are these chicks?

They sure are pretty! But, doesn't it aggravate anyone that hatcheries add these "warmers", that are usually mostly cockeral, thus forcing the customer to do their dirty work (culling) for them? Is it possible to ask that no "warmers" be added?

Not all hatcheries do it. Others have higher minimum chick orders to ensure warmth. The ones with lower minimums also have other options for shipping, but you have to pay for heat packs, etc.

And this is not at all directed to the OP--I don't know you at all, so this is not personal. It's a general observation from folks over the years----people don't read the hatchery information before ordering. They get all shocked when they place a small order and get excess cockerels, but it's plain as day on the hatchery website.

When I ordered from (I think it's Ideal that does this a lot), I was very clear in my order I did not want excess "packing peanuts". I stated if they thought my order would not support warmth during shipping, they were to contact me and I'd add extra pullets to the order. My order shipped exactly as I wanted, no extras at all.

I would agree they look just like my Production Reds did as babies. I didn't know they sent chicks as "packing peanuts". This is good to know. I got my chickens from our local feed store so I had no idea.

Back
Top Bottom