What breed are these two, anyway?

Jul 17, 2019
Holland, MI
My two blue ladies, Diamond and Jewel, were ordered as [ https://townlinehatchery.com/product/araucana-ameraucana-strain/ ] And I ended up with an Easter Egger, an actual Ameraucana, and... well, these two!

I was told in an earlier thread of mine they are not Ameraucanas. So I’m asking again, what breed are these girls?

251BD315-07B6-4786-83ED-AD1A39E6FC3F.jpeg

F41DD487-C2A4-41EA-896F-534BDC6C35AB.jpeg

(Next to my rooster in this photo, btw.)

Not ameraucana. Ameraucana have pea combs and a slightly different body shape. They look like they could be a version of a sapphire gem or some other crossbreed. But they are crosses of some sort.

ETA: I went out and looked at the website you listed above. What they're advertising are easter eggers. First note the spelling. "AmerIcana" is a hatchery spelling of the breed "Ameraucana". Americana is usually code for easter egger. Additionally, they say that they'll lay blue, green, brown or pink eggs... that's another clue that they're EE.
They were probably out of their EE and sent you these two instead. Unfortunately with the computer I'm at, I can't peruse their site, to see what they're selling that would match these two.

Last edited:
Not ameraucana. Ameraucana have pea combs and a slightly different body shape. They look like they could be a version of a sapphire gem or some other crossbreed. But they are crosses of some sort.

ETA: I went out and looked at the website you listed above. What they're advertising are easter eggers. First note the spelling. "AmerIcana" is a hatchery spelling of the breed "Ameraucana". Americana is usually code for easter egger. Additionally, they say that they'll lay blue, green, brown or pink eggs... that's another clue that they're EE.
They were probably out of their EE and sent you these two instead. Unfortunately with the computer I'm at, I can't peruse their site, to see what they're selling that would match these two.

Ah, that’d make sense. Although... it was May 2019. You’d think they’d have some left or in stock!
They also don’t match any chickens on the website. Trust me, I’ve looked...

Ah, that’d make sense. Although... it was May 2019. You’d think they’d have some left or in stock!
They also don’t match any chickens on the website. Trust me, I’ve looked...
Availability is based on what’s available that day regardless of time of year.

I can’t stress enough that an Easter Egger is a mixed breed. they can look like anything. There’s no way to capture what each could look like, so the fact that you can’t identify them off the site means even MORE that they are an Easter egger.

all it means is that there is the CHANCE that the bird carries the blue egg gene. You only need one blue egg gene, not two, to see the blue in the egg. If you take ANY bird with a blue egg gene and cross it with ANY bird, the resulting offspring is an Easter egger.

many people have confused EAster Egger with Ameraucana and use the two interchangeably. That’s because for a long time, Ameraucana was the only breed of chicken that had a definitive blue egg. Due to importing, there are now many breeds with a colored egg gene. (Cream Legbars and Silverudds, etc). The fact that these can be used to breed with ANY chicken to make an Easter egger has confused many people to.

all you need is a cock Bird with two blue egg genes (any of the pure breeds that lay colored) OR any Easter egger offspring made with colored layers that you know has two blue egg genes. The resulting offspring of that cock bird bred with ANY BREED of bird will be an Easter egger.

a Hatchery’s Easter Egger pen could have 50 different breed hens in it, but every one of the chicks is labeled the same way as an “Easter Egger.”

Back
Top Bottom