What breed/breed mix is this cockerel?

looks like a black sex link and from what i understand you can throw any color rooster over a barred hen and have black sex links

Well, he's a mixed breed so we can make some guesses but won't ever really know for sure. A solid roo over a barred or cuckoo hen should give barred males. The feathered legs do make one think of cuckoo marans, but the fifth toe could be faverolle, dorking, etc. Don't see silkie, and don't really see dorking. Faverolles would usually pass on the beard, which he doensn't have. He's got a big chest and kinda small hind end. He's pretty and as long as he's good with the girls he sounds like a keeper!

I have some Dorking/Barred Rock Crosses. Strange things like this happen when you toss an egg eating BR hen into a pen with an extra Dorking roo and your hatching addition causes you to toss some eggs in the incubator to make sure every spot is filled. lOL The feathering is very simliar to yous, and mine came out with 5 toes too. The only difference is that mine kept the Dorking body style (actually two of them have a more perfect Dorking body than any of my pure Dorkings), and their feet are bright yellow (much brighter than the BR's). They have turned out to be such fabulous chickens that I am actually toying with the idea of seeing what happens breeding them down the line, and breeding some back to Dorkings. I'm thinking they just might make great barnyard free rangers.

Back
Top Bottom