What breed/breeds are these?

ezgreen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
I am new and just learning the forums and just posted this question elsewhere.

I was given these chickens yesterday and was told they are Japanese Silkies. Are they? And what kind of quality? Or are they a mixed breed?

They were brought to me from a ranch where the aggressive chickens on the ranch were hurting them, and were just placed in my yard without explanation. Did not expect a rooster. But he is so sweet and protective of the girls.

What do you think of them? They still look a little frazzled from being on the ranch and being harrassed for a while. I will get them fat and fluffy.

73270_chickens.jpg

Those are silkies my friend. Nice looking too! Silkie's are from China. Looks like you have some bearded and some non-bearded.

Chef

Last edited:
Thanks. I was wondering if there were more roosters, but they are so submissive to that big rooster and he is the only one that crows.

As long as they keep it kind of quiet and do not bother the neighbors, I am fine with roosters. But I am hoping I only have that one because I want eggs. One of the new ones already laid an egg today. But made the silkie hen that I already have mad, because she laid it in her doghouse. And she walked around squawking until I realized it was because there was an egg in her nest! That hen was much louder than the rooster!

Thanks for the opinions/advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom