what breed do you think is best for brown egg production

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
I want a breed that lays big brown eggs, and lots of them, any ideas. What breeds and if you have any photos of their eggs

my little ISA Browns are champions IMO. They have layed each and every day since they were around 20 weeks old. Here's a pic of one of my little Brown's jumbo eggs at 3.7 oz. compared to one of my bigger Black Australorp's medium eggs. The Browns started laying sooner and their eggs are consistantly bigger than the larger bird's eggs. The Eggs are a rich chocolatey brown and average around 2.3-2.7 oz.

32069_jumboegg.jpg

Any of the sex links ISA Brown Black Star they are all sex links no matter how fancy the name
idunno.gif
they do a great job.Delaware's lay even larger-or mine do and lay at least 5 days a week more often 6 and 7 not uncommon at all for 70+ gram eggs EVERY time.Our RIR also lay like crazy and always lay a large or larger.No pictures handy of the Delaware's because they don't hold the record here.It is held by my RIR/Sex Link hen(RIR roo and Sex link hen) she holds the 100 gram record and always lays 71-75 gram eggs...6 days a week but I'll give her her one day off she's so good to us.

Sex-links. My cinnamon queens (red sex links) lay large tera cota brown eggs and between the two of them they lay an average of 13 a week--That has been thru the shortest days of the year with no extra light. They're friendly too. Also, they started laying at 17 and 19 weeks old.

Sex-links(red or black) and Production reds as these are bred for industrial egg laying purposes. I've had all three and they all are great producers of large brown eggs.

catdaddy

Back
Top Bottom