What breed & gender are these 4 week old chicks??

Red

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
We bought fertile rhode island red eggs, but when the chicks were a few weeks old it soon became obvious that they weren't RIRs...can anyone suggest a breed?

I posted about two weeks ago when we first reasiled they weren't what we thought they were, and we got loads of suggestions such as red sex links, comets, buff orps and buff rocks. I've raised buff orp chicks before and know they're not BOs, but never even seen any of the other breeds!

I was just wondering if it'd be easier to tell the breed yet as they're now a little older and have more colouring on their feathers? I tried to get some decent photos, but think i've failed miserably...
smile.png

DSCF2298.jpg

DSCF2306.jpg

This is Pappy, not sure if she is a girl or a boy yet, but i'm thinking probably a boy...?

DSCF2299.jpg

Daisy, who will probably turn out to be a boy with that name
lol.png

DSCF2301.jpg

Thought she was a boy, but now think she's a girl as she hasn't got any significant comb development.

DSCF2305.jpg

DSCF2304.jpg

Sunny, who has lighter feathers than the others and i think is definitely a girl
smile.png

DSCF2303.jpg

And Midget who is a boy!

Thank you in advance
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Definately LOOK like red sex links, also known as gold comets and a load of other names. BUT, If they were then they would all be girls by the color.

Matt

Last edited:
Wow that would be too good to be true!
lol.png

Here is another pic of him taken about four days ago:
DSCF2302.jpg

His comb is bigger and redder than the others, he eats a lot more, and is more stand-offish than the other chicks - he rarely comes for a cuddle when they do.

Okay, thanks everyone for the replies
smile.png

In the past few days there has been lots of comb development, and now four of the five chicks (interestingly the ones with the darker feathers) are showing big red combs & wattles...i'm thinking i have four boys and only Sunny is a girl
he.gif
We can keep the chicks until they are about 15 weeks old, but now I have three roosters i need to find good homes for
roll.png

Golden comets can look very much like RIR's when they hatch. I would definitely say golden comet now. They are beautiful!

I say Golden Comets, and female...I bought 25 last Easter and they looked just like that . The roosters I bought were all white with a few red/gold feathers mixed in ever so lightly.

Back
Top Bottom