What breed & gender are these 4 week old chicks??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Red, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We bought fertile rhode island red eggs, but when the chicks were a few weeks old it soon became obvious that they weren't RIRs...can anyone suggest a breed?

I posted about two weeks ago when we first reasiled they weren't what we thought they were, and we got loads of suggestions such as red sex links, comets, buff orps and buff rocks. I've raised buff orp chicks before and know they're not BOs, but never even seen any of the other breeds!

I was just wondering if it'd be easier to tell the breed yet as they're now a little older and have more colouring on their feathers? I tried to get some decent photos, but think i've failed miserably... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Pappy, not sure if she is a girl or a boy yet, but i'm thinking probably a boy...?

[​IMG]
    Daisy, who will probably turn out to be a boy with that name [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thought she was a boy, but now think she's a girl as she hasn't got any significant comb development.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sunny, who has lighter feathers than the others and i think is definitely a girl [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And Midget who is a boy!

Thank you in advance [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Definately LOOK like red sex links, also known as gold comets and a load of other names. BUT, If they were then they would all be girls by the color.

Matt

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. Red

Mar 17, 2007
    Wow that would be too good to be true! [​IMG]

Here is another pic of him taken about four days ago:
    [​IMG]

His comb is bigger and redder than the others, he eats a lot more, and is more stand-offish than the other chicks - he rarely comes for a cuddle when they do.

4. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    The comb on Pappy definitely makes him look to be a cockerel...
    as far as breed..what about speckled hamburg??
    -nj

5. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Hi!
    I don't know what breed but they look exactly like mine- Carmen (posted below). Other posters guessed her as sex-linked also. [​IMG]

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    They look just like my Golden Comets too. But mine are 3 weeks old and have no combs to speak of so far.

7. Red

Mar 17, 2007
    Okay, thanks everyone for the replies [​IMG]

In the past few days there has been lots of comb development, and now four of the five chicks (interestingly the ones with the darker feathers) are showing big red combs & wattles...i'm thinking i have four boys and only Sunny is a girl [​IMG] We can keep the chicks until they are about 15 weeks old, but now I have three roosters i need to find good homes for [​IMG]

8. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    They are really cute!

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Golden comets can look very much like RIR's when they hatch. I would definitely say golden comet now. They are beautiful!

10. leslie0815

leslie0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I say Golden Comets, and female...I bought 25 last Easter and they looked just like that . The roosters I bought were all white with a few red/gold feathers mixed in ever so lightly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by