What breed is everyone?

Eeyorewwjd

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2017
So we are a first time chicken family. We just got our first flock of chicken's last Thursday and still can't figure out what we have. I ordered 10 (2 Ameraucana's, 2 Buff Silkies, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Silver Laced Wyandonette, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orp, 1 Cuckoo Marian, and 1 Light Brahma). We got 11 and I'm sure our bonus will be a male. So far we know the buff orp (Gigi), light brahma (Hedwig), rhode island (Lucy), and both silkies (Fuzzy Pants & Fluffy Butt). However, the majority of breeds I'm still clueless. I would appreciate any help from all you chicken experts out there. :) The sooner I can determine a roo the easier it will be to prepare my kids for the fact that it won't be staying. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_5395.JPG
    IMG_5395.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5399.JPG
    IMG_5399.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5455.JPG
    IMG_5455.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5464.JPG
    IMG_5464.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5488.JPG
    IMG_5488.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5494.JPG
    IMG_5494.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5523.JPG
    IMG_5523.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5531.JPG
    IMG_5531.JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5552.JPG
    IMG_5552.JPG
    565.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5554.JPG
    IMG_5554.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5558.JPG
    IMG_5558.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5559.JPG
    IMG_5559.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5569.JPG
    IMG_5569.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5570.JPG
    IMG_5570.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 9
let them grow up a few more weeks it will be easier.. Welcome I do understand that you want to know now... the Marans and the Silkie and Brahma have fuzzy feet.. soon the Barred Rock will start to show the barring soon so happy you joined us please to repost all the photos in about 4 weeks in the meanwhile look over get familiar with all the pages of education, state threads , coop questions and answers everything the site has to offer :welcome

Fuzzy pants- silkie
Hedwig- light brahma
Beatrix- silver laced Wyandotte
Violet- barred or cuckoo (if it's a marans it may start to show some feathering on its legs and feet)
Fluffy butt -silkie
A-barred or cuckoo
B- barred or cuckoo
Gigi-buff pro
Flash- Ameraucana/ EE

I don't know how to tell the barred rock from the cuckoo chicks other than leg feathering (although all don't) however I bet experts on each breed could tell you some more specific ways. Otherwise wait and see. They shouldn't look so much alike as they get older tho.

I believe if I understood correctly that your extra is either a barred or cuckoo. Not sure on the cuckoo but the barred is auto sexing bc of each one sex having more barring genes than the other so that works in your favor. There are threads on here with help with that and you may be able to ID your roo very quickly using the techniques you learn there.

Thanks
let them grow up a few more weeks it will be easier.. Welcome I do understand that you want to know now... the Marans and the Silkie and Brahma have fuzzy feet.. soon the Barred Rock will start to show the barring soon so happy you joined us please to repost all the photos in about 4 weeks in the meanwhile look over get familiar with all the pages of education, state threads , coop questions and answers everything the site has to offer :welcome

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful. We are really enjoying all our chicks and look forward to watching them grow.

All of them are TOO YOUNG, especially the silkies - a breed especially difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age. Do they have black beaks & legs, 5 toes on each foot? and dark pigmented skin?

Beatrix is your Silver Laced Wyandotte
A and B are your Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Maran
Flash is your Ameraucana (if you got them from a hatchery they are most likely Easter Eggers)
Does Violet have puffy cheeks like flash? If not it is most likely a BR or Cuckoo Maran

You guessed correctly about the rest :)

and this looks like a silkie, partridge coloured
All of them are TOO YOUNG, especially the silkies - a breed especially difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age. Do they have black beaks & legs, 5 toes on each foot? and dark pigmented skin?
Yes, they both have black beaks & legs. Yes to the 5 toes (I hadn't noticed this before your question). And yes to the dark pigmented skin :)

Back
Top Bottom