What breed is this chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4islandgirls, Nov 11, 2012.

1. 4islandgirls

4islandgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Somebody found this chicken under their porch and they had no idea what to do with him,so we took him because we have chickens. He about the size of a bantom chicken and hasn't grown at all. He makes a weird sound almost like a caw.[​IMG]

Does anybody know what breed he is and is it a boy or a girl?

2. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    how much and when does it craw ( as you put it ). He may be a young roo! have you checked its vent area? ( also known as its butt ). From the looks it appears if it was a girl then she would lay eggs by now. BTW it is BEAUTIFULL! Idk what breed it is but it looks like a mix

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    looks young to me and its a pullet. Looks like a mix to me. Also it has very scragly feathers, be sure to check its vent for lice

4. 4islandgirls

4islandgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Well he might be a pullet but we've had him for a month and their is no noticeable growth. He caws all the time, I thought at first it was because he was thirsty but I see him drinking all the time. He's in a cage with food and water.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'd say it's a young Production Red pullet. She probably has parasites and her growth has been stunted from it. Try worming her and see if that improves her weight.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks fairly young and not old enough to be sure on gender...i lean towards cockerel right now

7. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Not sure boy or girl.. Better shot of the head and it standing on it's own would help

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think it's a cockerel based on leg thickness and color, but I agree a better profile shot of the bird standing, including legs and tail, would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by