What breed is this roo?

Probably a hatchery quality silkie, or a mixed breed with a lot of silkie in him. He can't be a purebred silkie with that single comb, but he looks to have a lot of silkie in him. Is his skin mulberry color? Are his legs feathered? How many toes does he have?

Okay then, hatchery quality silkie (the jury is out on whether hatchery silkies can be considered pure, lol) or mix with a lot of silkie in there. Looks like he's got the frizzle gene too.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking he was a bit of a mix. Gave him a home on our farm. He was supposed to be a pullet and was in city limits, so the family needed to re-home him.

He's a frizzled Silkie, most likely from someone's Sizzle project (which would explain the single comb). I get a few single combs like that while plugging along on my own Sizzle project.

Even show/breeder quality Silkies can throw single combs though...

He's really pretty!

Last edited:
He's a frizzled Silkie, most likely from someone's Sizzle project (which would explain the single comb). I get a few single combs like that while plugging along on my own Sizzle project.

Even show/breeder quality Silkies can throw single combs though...

He's really pretty!

Wouldn't he still technically be a mix if he's from a sizzle project since other breeds are mixed in to achieve the frizzle gene? No disrespect, I myself breed frilkies which had to have been mixed with something at some point way back in their lineage, but at what point do breeders consider it a purebred silkie again? Is it after a certain number of generations? Interesting about the single comb, it must be that walnut combs are dominant so if your silkie is carrying one and you breed it to another carrier they can pop up.

Wouldn't he still technically be a mix if he's from a sizzle project since other breeds are mixed in to achieve the frizzle gene? No disrespect, I myself breed frilkies which had to have been mixed with something at some point way back in their lineage, but at what point do breeders consider it a purebred silkie again? Is it after a certain number of generations? Interesting about the single comb, it must be that walnut combs are dominant so if your silkie is carrying one and you breed it to another carrier they can pop up.

Yes, technically he would still be a mix (no offense taken
smile.png
), though hopefully someday Sizzles will gain approval and be an actual breed. I consider them a purebred Silkie again when they exhibit all of the proper Silkie characteristics, but that's just me. But, again, even the most proper, beautiful, purebred, show quality Silkies can throw undesired characteristics if the genes are there and fall into place.
He may not even be from a Sizzle project, but they're gaining popularity, so it's just a possibility.

Nice to find another Frilkie breeder, I love them just as much as my frizzled Sizzles! Adorable little things
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom