What breed is this rooster?

BriannaBanana

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2023
Hi everyone. I got this guy yesterday from my neighbor, whe said he fights with the others and has attacked her kids (he hasn't attacked us yet.) He is quite small and I'm not sure how old he is. Thanks for any information. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 20240225_092154.jpg
    20240225_092154.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Wow, check out that comb! Not sure of breed but he is gorgeous & apparently quite feisty. One of my Roosters was feisty & would attack, but he mellowed out at 3 yrs of age. Another I took in was distant then suddenly began attacking at 2 yrs of age & he was a winner at the State Fair so luckily I rehomed him. The 1 Roo I've kept, when he was his nastiest, I had to scoop him up & carry him like a football with one arm, as I did his area coop chores with the other hand. He calmed down being carried. He bit my arm once then my butt...yeah, I make the mistake of saying ouch, and I swear he laughed, Ha, Ha, Ha. After that, I think he rather enjoyed the game. He'd let me scoop him up, but occasionally, he'd try to reach around & bite me right on the butt as I carried him. I learned my lesson...All he got was a beak full of my long chore hoodie. Eventually, he mellowed out, but still gave me stink eye when I entered "his space". Now, as an old Roo, he actually likes when I scoop him up & pet him, but he is nearly 10 yrs old now, not a lot of spunk left. Your Roo is young & hormonal. With kids, it's a different story, jumping ninja spurs & kid's shorter stature are a recipe for disaster. Just be aware you can't turn your back on him, have a broom handy to gently sweep him away or quickly scoop him up like I did, doing 1 handed chores, make sure you wear a long hoodie, cover arms & hopefully your butt. I have no idea how a Roo would know a human butt cheek is so tender & bite-able, but give them that high pitch "ouch" reaction 1 time & they'll go for the butt cheek from then on. Lol

Back
Top Bottom