Oct 8, 2010
27675C21-07E8-4ABA-AA22-FDCA4AAD6EF5.jpeg
9FF2BC07-4E81-4B08-A102-C7B474CAA21B.jpeg
AFF7369B-7577-4627-B12D-DF8E9271AA88.jpeg
F3DB0D9D-498D-4852-B219-133E75408BA3.jpeg
CF69468F-E418-47FC-A23F-01FDB214C53F.jpeg
756D8E7E-0D54-44D1-9AFE-D49E14D7F9CF.jpeg
Hi!

A week ago, a friend of mine surprised and gifted me with this beautiful little hen. She herself did not have much background information on her but she told me she hatched sometime this summer. She got her in a group of production chickens from someone else a few weeks ago but she doesn’t know anything else about her.

So this hen is tiny. Just a little bit larger than my Seramas. She doesn’t mind being held but isn’t keen on being picked up- skittish, will run away from me. Her feet and beak are almost white (light in color). She looks very much like my Speckled Sussex hen I used to have only she’s small and has a light toasted color brown chest as opposed to the darker brown on her back. She looks to me to be an Olandsk Dwarf Hen, but I heard they are really rare, so I’m not sure.

I’d be delighted to hear what you think what she might be.

View attachment 1940157 View attachment 1940156 View attachment 1940155 View attachment 1940154 View attachment 1940152 View attachment 1940150 Hi!

A week ago, a friend of mine surprised and gifted me with this beautiful little hen. She herself did not have much background information on her but she told me she hatched sometime this summer. She got her in a group of production chickens from someone else a few weeks ago but she doesn’t know anything else about her.

So this hen is tiny. Just a little bit larger than my Seramas. She doesn’t mind being held but isn’t keen on being picked up- skittish, will run away from me. Her feet and beak are almost white (light in color). She looks very much like my Speckled Sussex hen I used to have only she’s small and has a light toasted color brown chest as opposed to the darker brown on her back. She looks to me to be an Olandsk Dwarf Hen, but I heard they are really rare, so I’m not sure.

I’d be delighted to hear what you think what she might be.
I think pretty certain that's a Soangled Old English Game bantam pullet. Size leg color eye color beak. Not bad little heavy in the white Genome.

COOL! Thanks!

Are Old English Bantams serama sized? She’s just a tad larger than my Seramas. I have no knowledge about whatever she is... would she do better with my Seramas or my standard sized flock? I freerange the standard sized chickens.

COOL! Thanks!

Are Old English Bantams serama sized? She’s just a tad larger than my Seramas. I have no knowledge about whatever she is... would she do better with my Seramas or my standard sized flock? I freerange the standard sized chickens.

I'm pretty sure Seramas are some of the smallest bantams, so everything is larger than they are :lau I would keep her with a bantam flock.

I'm pretty sure Seramas are some of the smallest bantams, so everything is larger than they are :lau I would keep her with a bantam flock.

Lol..yeah, for sure. I wasn’t thinking on that one. What I meant to say is that I thought bantams are somewhat sized in the middle between a serama and a standard sized chicken. This gal is closer to the size of a serama rather than a bantam.

I don’t have a bantam flock though. Only Seramas and standard sized chickens. So I should put her with the Seramas?

Lol..yeah, for sure. I wasn’t thinking on that one. What I meant to say is that I thought bantams are somewhat sized in the middle between a serama and a standard sized chicken. This gal is closer to the size of a serama rather than a bantam.

I don’t have a bantam flock though. Only Seramas and standard sized chickens. So I should put her with the Seramas?

True bantams are just small breeds with no large counterpart, and many bantams are downsized versions of full size breeds. So the size of bantams varies. Seramas ARE bantams, so yes, I would put her with them.

Back
Top Bottom