What breed of chicken is this?

australorp_breeder

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
California
I've had numerous people and hatcheries try and identify these birds, but none could really help me. Most of them said they're a mixed breed. I think they're standard Old English Game hens, but I'm not sure:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/0L0u0s0t0/IMG_5648.jpg

Here's some information about them -

* clean-legged

* hard-feathered

* smaller then average size chicken

* lays medium white eggs

* panics easily

Please do not give me information about the rooster, I already know what breed he is, and he's not the same breed as the hens.

Not the most detailed picture but They appear to me to be cross breeds possibly with some game in their background.
What breed do you believe the male to be?

They look to be a game cross. I have a roo just the same color and he's a game cross or homegrown and i have about twenty game cross hen and they lay a variety of colored eggs from brown, tinted and almost white eggs. I think some game crosses make up some of the most beautiful and interresting feather patterns and colors.

Thank guys! Well, people have told me my roo is a Silver Duckwing, but alas, that is obviously just color. So I guess I don't know... He hatched from one of the neighbor hens's eggs. When the neighbors moved they didn't take their chickens, so they made their way over to my place and I adopted them, lol! Unfortunately, I no longer owned the roo. He was one of my favorite chickens. I helped him hatch out of his egg, and saved him after a chicken hawk picked him up and dropped him from four feet in the air right in front of me when he was a chick. Clucky ended up passing away from severe mites.

Quote:
Yeah, i think the rooster is probably a American game cross too.. And he is more of a Mealy grey color than silver duckwing, he's a crowwing and the type of grey he shows is definitely black fowl in the background.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom