What breed of chicken should I get?

Rhode island red hybrids which are made by crossing a Rhode island red (obviously) and a white leghorn are relatively quiet birds, are the most common, lay lots of big light brown eggs, ok with a small coop, and are an excellent choice for beginners

Our sex links like people better then the other chickens, and we will go outside with her, and she follows us and plays around

I adore my Golden Comets, and I'm so grateful they were my first chickens. They're extremely affectionate and follow me everywhere, they don't need as much feed because they're small, one started laying eggs at 14 weeks old which is at least six weeks earlier than other breeds, the others are showing signs of laying at 15 weeks. You can't beat them for producing lots of large to extra large brown eggs even in the winter. I think they're the perfect first chicken breed to get.

My first 3 birds were 2 Rhode Island Reds and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Wyandotte is my favorite by far. She is very fluffy and tolerates my picking her up for a little petting or to put her in the coop. I love her little vocalizations too, she'l let you know when she wants to be let out of the coop (pretty much any daylight hour) or have a treat; but she isn't loud at all.

My RIRs are another story; great production but not much beyond that. One of the Reds is super flighty while the other is mean to the other hens. As much praise as they seem to get I wouldn't advise getting them; especially not for a mixed flock like I have. Funnily enough, the alpha hen (a Red of course) picked more on the other red than my Wyandotte; that is until this Red met a predator one day. And that was the end of the bullying. I don't really have experience with the other breeds, but I am currently rearing a Sussex, which I've read have great temperament and a Polish, somewhere in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom