What breed of chickens should I get?

channonchickens

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
Hi Im currently in the process of building a chicken coop/getting chickens and I need some help. I need some advice of what breed to choose, I would need chickens that are good at laying, have non aggressive temprement + ones that dont need heaps of space (I have quite a bit but because I have a dog that would probably like to have them for a snack they would mostly live in a run with still quite a lot of area).

Please help out and leave a comment

I would suggest Orpingtons, Australorps, Rocks, Sussex, Cochins, EE for a few, but there are others. There is a breed selection tool on My Pet Chicken that may be of use to you. Good luck with your search.....

I suggest Rhode Island Reds. They are great layers, have a nice temperament, and taste good when it's time to hit the soup bowl. I have 7 and they will eat scratch right out of my kids hands.

I personally like Black Australorps and Gold Comets (Gold Sex Links). Australorps are considered some of the friendliest
chickens to have around kids. PLUS, they're rated "Excellent" for egg laying! Gold Comets LOVE to talk to you
and follow you around your farm; they're very sociable! I DON'T recommend Leg Horns because they are very anti-social
birds. There are always exceptions! Also, spend LOTS of time holding your chicks and feeding them out of your hand.
They'll be your friend for life!

Hands down Black Stars.
smile.png

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Great
site to see LOTS of pictures of LOTS of breeds of chickens.
Then you can "search" the ones you like the looks of best here on BYC and see what people say about them.

Also check the "Notable Reference and Breed Thread Discussions" sticky at the top of the "Breeds, Genetics, and Showing" section on here. A lot,but not all breeds have threads you can read through to find great info on them. Good luck!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom