Ryan Wiemken

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2017
I am looking at getting one or two different breeds from a breeder. I am thinking of getting 10 straight run ducklings of deep keeled rouens and alyesbury ducks. Are they good ducks and do they have any problems? I want to raise a rarer breed so I can breed them and sell the offspring or hatching eggs. I just want to preserve these old breeds. Other breeds available are Saxony, buff or silver appleyards. I like the rouens and alyesbury but I don't want to breed ducks that people don't want to buy. Just want to make enough money to pay for feed. Any suggestions on what to buy or what breeds are good sellers and prices on adults or eggs?

I am looking at getting one or two different breeds from a breeder. I am thinking of getting 10 straight run ducklings of deep keeled rouens and alyesbury ducks. Are they good ducks and do they have any problems? I want to raise a rarer breed so I can breed them and sell the offspring or hatching eggs. I just want to preserve these old breeds. Other breeds available are Saxony, buff or silver appleyards. I like the rouens and alyesbury but I don't want to breed ducks that people don't want to buy. Just want to make enough money to pay for feed. Any suggestions on what to buy or what breeds are good sellers and prices on adults or eggs?
Deep-keeled breeds, aren't a great breed to start out with for breeding. They can have fertility problems, and eggs can be hard to breed. Some people may not like the looks of them, also. I personally love the look, and would like to have a breeding flock of Aylesburies one day. I would try Magpies. They are easy to keep, affordable, and rare and have good fertility. Do your research and see what the best fit for you is. I will attach some magpie pictures if possible.
DSC_0941.JPG
DSC_0940.JPG
This is all I have on hand now. :)

Best of luck!

I was thinking the same thing about the fertility, I'll talk to the breeder to see if he has fertility issues with the birds; I just love the size of the bird, plus they would be unable to jump the 3' separating fence. Exterior fencing is over 6'. I think calls would be great and I know they would be easy since I have two call duck houses not being used, but my dad will caring for birds in the winter because I am currently at college for animal science. Call ducks have a tendency to fly if you don't routinely clip wings. Those are some beautiful magpies!! Where did you buy those at? I am looking into some Pomeranian geese as well because they are a beautiful bird and hard to come by, found some rare pink-billed, single lobed ones I can buy so Might look into that.

Deep-keeled breeds, aren't a great breed to start out with for breeding. They can have fertility problems, and eggs can be hard to breed. Some people may not like the looks of them, also. I personally love the look, and would like to have a breeding flock of Aylesburies one day. I would try Magpies. They are easy to keep, affordable, and rare and have good fertility. Do your research and see what the best fit for you is. I will attach some magpie pictures if possible.View attachment 1192035 View attachment 1192036 This is all I have on hand now. :)

Best of luck!
What are your thoughts on the Swedish or Cayuga? You are right that your magpies are popular. Medium sized ducks seem to sell well. Would their be an issue with penning ducks with geese; don't want ducks and geese to breed each other (I have heard of that happening. The most I can do is split my run into 3 sections, maybe 4 but don't want to do that. I have well over 200-250' of exterior fence, so I have the space.

I’ve had Khaki Campbell’s, black swedish, pekins, and cayugas. I like the cayugas the best. They are the most laid back and friendly followed closely by the black swedes. I like the black color also however I like their personalities the best. My pekins are a tad too loud for me. The KCs are too nervous for my liking.

I would go with Cayugas, if you want to sell eggs. A lot of people looking at duck eggs want to say that they have eaten (or raise) an odd-colored egg. They're also impressive-looking ducks, and harder to find than Swedes (in my area, at least.)

Unless you're selling to people who have experience with ducks, the problem with Magpies is that a lot of people mistake them for mutts (I saw a breeding pair go for four dollars each at the local auction (Belknapp, PA). Sadly, I had a ten-bird limit, or they would have come home with me.)

And Rouens are frequently sold as mallards, even when labelled correctly. In a lot of cases, people don't want mallards, and they're seen as "boring" where I'm from.

I don't know much about the other breeds, but I hope this helps.

It depends on your location as to how well they sell and how popular they are...I had Silver Appleyard and they sold great here...I sold out of them and only have Calls now...I sell Call Duckings $20 each and breeding pairs $60 to $80 depending on the Ducks...I have a waiting list for spring Ducklings...

We drove to three different Tractor Supplies looking for our Blue Swedish and Cayuga (thought the Cayuga was a Black Swede but we love her!!) Most places only carried Muscovies or Pekins. We were going to get Khaki Campbells at the first TSC we went to but they sold the whole brood before we got there. Luck ya! We had a newfound love for Swedes. They are great layers, super sweet, and very pretty. When researching ducks Swedish were described as a mild temperament, moderate egg layer, and great for beginners.

I am so happy we ended up with a Cayuga too- her eggs are bigger even though she’s slightly smaller and has such personality! She also very pretty with the sheen on her black feathers.

Attachments

• 879579E5-33D6-4EF1-BA71-A07C958405EC.jpeg
    879579E5-33D6-4EF1-BA71-A07C958405EC.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 7
Those are some beautiful magpies!! Where did you buy those at? I am looking into some Pomeranian geese as well because they are a beautiful bird and hard to come by, found some rare pink-billed, single lobed ones I can buy so Might look into that.
I got my magpies from Johnson's Waterfowl. I would like to get some from Chickcharney Farm also.

What are your thoughts on the Swedish or Cayuga? You are right that your magpies are popular. Medium sized ducks seem to sell well. Would their be an issue with penning ducks with geese; don't want ducks and geese to breed each other (I have heard of that happening. The most I can do is split my run into 3 sections, maybe 4 but don't want to do that. I have well over 200-250' of exterior fence, so I have the space.
I have never had either of those breeds so I can't help you on those. @Miss Lydia could tell you about keeping ducks and geese together. :)

Also, I wouldn't do calls if you are try to preserve rare breeds. They are very common.

I have probably narrowed out the Alyesbury unfortunately... I will probably look into breeds that lay more eggs so I have more to sell or more to try and hatch. I really like the rouens and since my separation fences that I plan on setting up for breeding season are only 3 feet tall, I'd trust them not to jump it so that also draws me to them. The Swedish, magpie, Saxony, and buff are what I am looking at next. Defiantly Pomeranian geese and maybe Rouens. Looking to narrow it down to another duck breed or two because I have a large run and a good amount of fencing to seperate breeds. Does anyone know of a quality Sebastopol goose hatchery?

Back
Top Bottom